Par for the course.

Here is where all the poorly cared for, abused and neglected, and generally ignored belong. Anything that fits is welcome. (Forum title is credited to Christopher Titus.)

Par for the course.

Postby HerbertFriendly » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:21 am

Around this time last year I inherited a 1990 VTR 250 that had been found in a field. The bike was in pretty bad shape, to say the least. It only had one panel on it, which was the belly pan. The wires that were exposed didn't look great, and I assumed I had seen the worst of the wiring oddities when the kid twisted a short length of 4 gauge on to a slightly longer one dangling off the bike in order to connect what was very obviously an RC car battery...not that I'm bitter about it.. When I finally got the bike home and pulled the belly pan to see what I had gotten my self into, I discovered a subwoofer amp fuse teathering two short pieces of wire running to the starter motor! Inside the fuse holder was a NAIL that had been cut to size and fitted inside!!!

Of course I'm brand new to working on bikes and walked into oreileys asking for a new one and if I needed a "special fuse for my rare/exotic motorcycle wiring set up".

IMG_5794.JPG

IMG_5795.JPG

IMG_5796.JPG

IMG_5797.JPG

These photos were taken after I replaced the fuse, and subsequently made all new cables and removed these. I would come to find out over the following months that this type of "custom fabrication" was par for the course.
1989 vtr250 street fighter. Found in a field, I'm trying to bring her back to life.
HerbertFriendly

Re: Par for the course.

Postby ExTex77 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:36 am

Welcome to the group.

It sounds like you are in for some interesting times.
I hope you have the Honda Service manual for reference.

The hardest parts to get seems to be a choke cable, so take care of yours.

We welcome questions and have some parts stashed away.

Enjoy!
ExTex
1989 Honda VTR250 & 1988 Honda NT650
Wife rides a Burgman 200 scooter and I enjoy riding it also
ExTex77

Postby HerbertFriendly » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:00 pm

Spent 55 on a new cable over the winter! Definitely saved my old plugs, and those pesky plastic nuts, although they're in awful shape. Had the digital version of the service manual on my phone (got it from this forum), but just found one in packaging and had it delivered....no wiring diagram in it, doesn't look to be torn out either, don't know where it is. There are a million things wrong with this bike, but I'm excited to learn and dig in!
1989 vtr250 street fighter. Found in a field, I'm trying to bring her back to life.
HerbertFriendly

Postby squirrelman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:30 pm

b4 spending money on a project like yours, test engine compression first. you don't wanna pour money, time, or hopes into a bike that won't run. :o
squirrelman

Postby HerbertFriendly » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:54 am

I purchased a compression tester, but couldn't get the darn thing screw in! The angles are just awful..
HerbertFriendly

Postby squirrelman » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:32 pm

HerbertFriendly wrote:I purchased a compression tester, but couldn't get the darn thing screw in! The angles are just awful..

screw-in type ?? or push-in type ? take it back if it doesn't work.

remove both sparkplugs and the small access cover on the clutch cover. turn the crank over using a 14mm socket to get a feel for friction and resistance. then put either plug in and turn again. do u feel resistance or hear air ?? try each cylinder.
squirrelman

Postby Spoot5 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:24 am

once you get a good idea on compression, it sounds like electrical gremlins got to this one.
I would first look to replace the regulator\rectifier with a better one. There is a thread here for a version of Yamaha R6? iirc

Otherwise a SHINDENGEN MOSFET FH020AA is a great upgrade.
Make sure that you find a genuine, ebay seems to be getting knock-offs lately.
'90 VTR250 Interceptor / '98 VF750F Magna / '98 VTR1000F / '08 Ridgeline / Honda Racing Bicycle
CCS Mid-West #518 Am
Spoot5

Postby squirrelman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:15 pm

Spoot5 wrote:\Otherwise a SHINDENGEN MOSFET FH020AA is a great upgrade.
Make sure that you find a genuine, ebay seems to be getting knock-offs lately.

Blame the Chicoms :(

"Half price, half life" :?
squirrelman

Postby squirrelman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:21 pm

BTW: our friend herb may be a bot of sorts cuz he only showed one wire and no bike....................... :?

Why no photos, oh-so-friendly Herb ? :roll:

"Abandoned in a field" sounds too much like the start of a bad novel.
squirrelman

Postby HerbertFriendly » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:44 pm

Burn. I'll find some pics. Hahaha, as much as I sometimes wish otherwise, I'm not a robot. This is my first build and I want to learn as much as possible, so as long as it can eventually run, I plan on doing all the needed work to the old gal (or however it self identifies). Some custom fiberglass parts and repairs, wiring, plumbing, cleaning...cleaning...cleaning...cleaning bahahaha. I'm going to start a build thread if I ever get a day off. Love y'all!!!! So happy to be a part of this community again!
HerbertFriendly

Next

Return to Epic Fails