Straightening the front fairing/odometer/headlight mount

Help to keep your ride pretty!

Straightening the front fairing/odometer/headlight mount

Postby alston » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:48 pm

So I've realized that the front mount bracket that holds the headlight, odometer, windshield, etc., is slightly off center. It's not a lot, but it annoys the heck out of me now that I've noticed it. I did not notice it when the front pieces were off and it was just the mount since it's not off by that much.

Any advice on how best to straighten this? Is simply eyeballing it enough or does anyone have an idea on how best to straighten this out? I say a post that John replied to a few weeks ago when reading through the forums and the advice was to use a metal bar and try to bend it back. So, using this advice, any trial and error advice on where to insert the metal bar for leverage so as to not cause any further damage? Also, is it easier to heat the metal prior to trying to bend it back with a propane torch?
alston

Re: Straightening the front fairing/odometer/headlight mount

Postby Murdo1 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:05 am

Shouldn't need to be heated. I would use a strong piece of timber as this will spread the load on the contact area and not mark the metal.
Murdo1

Postby John Hilmer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:01 am

Alston,

With the main fairing off you'll be able to see where you can use a 2x4 or a pry bar to leverage against the frame. Just think through which direction the fairing stay needs to move and go slow.

After each adjustment, dry fit the fairing back in place to see how everything lines up.

John
Lord help me to be the man my Labrador thought I was.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood ...
John Hilmer

Postby alston » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:06 pm

Got it, thanks for the advice gentlemen!
alston

Postby squirrelman » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:47 pm

Newtonian mechanics: you might need an assistant (preferably an attractive female) TO HOLD THE BIKE STEADY while you torque on the fairing mount structure.
squirrelman

Return to Bodywork & Detailing