External Rust on Tank, stopgap fix

Help to keep your ride pretty!

External Rust on Tank, stopgap fix

Postby kirk_dunkirk » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:59 am

Hey,

After a long rebuild, the bike is finally running, and pretty good too I must say. So nice to finally be able to ride it. Thanks in a large part to advice I got here!
Dug into savings and bought some good protective gear too.

But...There are some worrying rust patches on the outside of the fuel tank.
They are not a problem yet but I want to keep them from progressing.

It might be a while before I get around to really dealing with them. I don't mind the way it looks either. Better then a half assed incomplete respray.
Could I just maybe apply some removal jelly or similar to neutralize it, then a bunch of clear coat to prevent the rust from going all the way through?

When I look online, articles deal either with de-rusting the inside of the tank (which I already did), or repainting the entire tank.

A lot of people out there with classic cars too & they want to keep the patina. Also checked some art and architecture sites because some people want to keep the rusty look and patina in their projects. Old steel shop signs, rusty counter top in a country cabin, outdoor sculpture etc. Lots of polyurethane clear coat seemed to be a common prescription.
kirk_dunkirk

Re: External Rust on Tank, stopgap fix

Postby YoshiHNS » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:48 pm

Wire brush, wire wheel, sandpaper, emery cloth. Just clean up that rust, clean the surface (maybe with IPA?), and quick spray of etching primer. Mask off as much as you can to keep overspray in control.
1971 Suzuki MT50
1985 VF500C
1989 VTR250
1996 VFR750F stock
1996 VFR750F 'VFR1CATI" Project
1998 VFR800
YoshiHNS

Postby squirrelman » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:50 pm

You're sure the rust isn't coming through from the inside? :o
squirrelman

Postby kirk_dunkirk » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:10 am

Ok, so keeping a bit of "patina" is a definite no-no? Even as a temporary measure?

As for coming from inside the tank, I guess I don't know for sure, but a couple of things lead me to think otherwise.
A previous owner had a spill, and there is a dent in the tank, and that's where the rust is.
Also, I de-rusted the inside of tank about a year ago, and also about 5 years ago. I guess it wouldn't remove very serious rust though, just surface stuff and coat over it, eh? Kind of like what I want to do on the outside.
kirk_dunkirk

Postby Murdo1 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:12 am

Clean the rust off with steel wool and spray can some clear over it.
Murdo1

Return to Bodywork & Detailing