My seat cowl project

Help to keep your ride pretty!

My seat cowl project

Postby boomtank » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:58 pm

Well after seeing one of these, I new I needed one. :mrgreen: Always wondered what that slot in the rear cowl and the threaded holes in the seat strap buckles were for :?

But, to my dismay either none existed at the time I was looking, or it was exuberantly priced :o

So after joining this forum here I have been givin an inspiation to try to make one. Gathering ideals from here and many youtube videos on ABS forming, I'm giving it a go. :mrgreen:

The concept Im going with is to make an internal form and heat mold the plastic over the form. My first few goes were with thin cardboard, which was utterly an aggervating mess. So I went with cardboard vertical and posterboard for the rest. It was easier to work with and came out close to what I like.

20160722_184013.jpg
Cowl left

20160722_184030.jpg
Cowl right angle

20160722_184048.jpg
Cowl right

Next step is to make the form of some kind of metal. Thinking tin, aluminum, or maybe an old cookie sheet. Any other ideas are welcome.

Sourceing the plastic at a decent cost, color, and size Im looking for has been difficult, but I'll find something soon. I have sourced the minor parts I need as seen below. The screws were a bit of trouble to find as they are an odd size (metric 11x1 threads). And the rubber o ring fits like a charm. All parts were found at Lowes. ;)

20160816_201500.jpg
Cowl part numbers

20160629_182739.jpg
Cowl part pics

20160629_182441.jpg
Cowl gasket

I'm hoping to get a basic one done by next month, weather, work, and honey do list permitting...lol

Also, just wondering if there was an actual part number to look up for these things?
Maybe even a cross fit. Ex CBR F# series? Or maybe other VT? series?
Keep the rubber side down out there ;)
Speed never hurt anyone. It's the sudden stop at the end that does :o

1988 Honda VTR250 interceptor
(aka the bottle rocket)
boomtank

Re: My seat cowl project

Postby ad.vantage » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:00 pm

I'd love to know how your project turns out. I must have a solo seat cowl. It's driving me insane!
ad.vantage

Postby squirrelman » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:00 pm

I made my seat cowl by cutting down a one i found in a junkyard from an '85 VF1000R.

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0786.jpg
squirrelman

Postby boomtank » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:01 pm

ad.vantage wrote:I'd love to know how your project turns out. I must have a solo seat cowl. It's driving me insane!

Lol..ad.vantage I will keep an update here of how things are going. But it has taken a back seat for now, as I am pushing to get all the plastics restored before the weather changes. Paint tends to be a bit picky about temperatures and humidity.
Keep the rubber side down out there ;)
Speed never hurt anyone. It's the sudden stop at the end that does :o

1988 Honda VTR250 interceptor
(aka the bottle rocket)
boomtank

Return to Bodywork & Detailing