Restoring handle bar switches?

Help to keep your ride pretty!

Restoring handle bar switches?

Postby boomtank » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:31 pm

Does anyone know the best/easiest way to restore the handle bar switches? Mine are badly faded. In the past I've used waxes and armor all. But now I want to try to "do it right".
Also wondering if it would be easier to just get new ones. ;)

P_20150902_185238_HL.jpg
Left side is cracked but repairable.

P_20150902_185253_HL.jpg
Right side in good condition just faded.
Keep the rubber side down out there ;)
Speed never hurt anyone. It's the sudden stop at the end that does :o

1988 Honda VTR250 interceptor
(aka the bottle rocket)
boomtank

Re: Restoring handle bar switches?

Postby JacobAllison » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:48 pm

I thought mine were bad!

I was referred to 'Plexus' plastic cleaner as a good way to restore it. My personal plan is to use the CBR1000RR switches.
JacobAllison

Postby John Hilmer » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:53 am

As bad as those are I would replace them.

If you want to try to make them look better it is possible though it is a lot of work.

I've used a utility knife blade as a scraper to remove most of the oxidized plastic surface. Then fine sand paper and finally rubbing compound followed by Eagle One Nano Polish.

Working around the markings becomes delicate and one slip....

John
Lord help me to be the man my Labrador thought I was.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood ...
John Hilmer

Postby cawalther » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:56 am

I am adapting switches for my DR650. If you want to adapt other switches, make sure to find switches that have a choke lever (not just by design, but also included). I had to source new connector pins and wiring pins (I wanted to keep my old switch perfectly usable to resell or to quickly put it back on) and then solder for good connectivity. I'm enjoying the learning process and have just recently picked up a good soldering iron and some other supplies. You also want to be aware of the lock pin (top / bottom) and compare to the VTR and try to find one that you won't have to redrill the clip-on.

I have also seen my ford festiva buds that restore their bumpers with special black restorer stuff.. no idea the exact name but that gives you an idea. That kind of product might do the same and make your switches look brand new. You would have to be careful, I'd assume, with the inlay colors, etc.
Walth
89 VTR 250 (since '07)
06 DR650se (since April '15)
cawalther

Postby ExTex77 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:23 pm

It looks like there are a lot of black plastic restorers if you do a google search.
I used a sample of one such on my switch cases and they has stayed nice for 5 yrs (garaged).
I applied it with a Q-tip with no surface preparation.
It didn't affect the labels on the cases.

ride safely,
ExTex
1989 Honda VTR250 & 1988 Honda NT650
Wife rides a Burgman 200 scooter and I enjoy riding it also
ExTex77

Postby JacobAllison » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:24 pm

One thing to point out, like John mentioned, is that some of the plastics (at least on my bike) dont just fade, the actual top level of the plastic is sort of bleached on and dissolving. So scraping at least that layer off may be required for a good finish.
JacobAllison

Postby boomtank » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:44 pm

Thanks for the great info guys. I'll probably go with the scrape and sand method to get started on them. Then maybe a plastic restorer next. Gonna be a long process by hand :(
As far as the stickers and inlays, I have some fine tip paint pens that did a very good job in the fuel cap and petcock selector. Sorry, but no pics of the process, but I can say that they where about as bad.
I'll try to keep pics of the process I use for the controlls here. Just need another day off with good weather and no chores...lol

P_20150904_215343_HL.jpg
No paint and badly scraped up prior.
P_20150904_215301_HL.jpg
Hardly any paint and badly faded before.

Not too bad but I still need to do a final thouch up on them.
Last edited by boomtank on Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep the rubber side down out there ;)
Speed never hurt anyone. It's the sudden stop at the end that does :o

1988 Honda VTR250 interceptor
(aka the bottle rocket)
boomtank

Postby spotthedogg » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:59 pm

I've painted them with black vinyl paint before with great results
spotthedogg

Postby JacobAllison » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:27 pm

Mine were about this bad. I hit them with some 'Mothers Black Trim Restorer' and presto, after 4 coats they look freakin' amazing and a nice rich black again!

I really didn't think it was going to work, picked it up on a whim because the NEX had it on sale for $2 and it worked great. They're pitch black now.

Edit: Of note -- this lasted great... for a few days. They're not nearly as bad as they were but they are now due for another coat.
JacobAllison

Postby MarkinNam » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:12 am

Guy a my favourite wreckers suggested Inox. A lady at church, when asked about her full head of hair and it's condition said she uses COCONUT OIL yup, so thinking out side of the square and noticing my car polish smell like coconut, I applied some, WOW what a result 1 application and they look great, Armourall and other trim applications dry out in the sun, some B4s afters to come
IMG_0495.JPG
Attachments
IMG_0496.JPG
Romans 8;28 And we know in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose....Everyone's mind is a different world
MarkinNam

Next

Return to Bodywork & Detailing