A link to some repair help on fairings

Help to keep your ride pretty!

A link to some repair help on fairings

Postby John Hilmer » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:16 pm

Folks,

I hope this works.

http://v4hondabbs.com/index.php?topic=6 ... #msg696950

I also hope that this might help you to save some parts.

John
Lord help me to be the man my Labrador thought I was.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood ...
John Hilmer

Re: A link to some repair help on fairings

Postby spotthedogg » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:13 pm

Off limits without registering
VT250F2H Track. sARL AM #72
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1415
1989 HAWK GT NT696 Race Bike
https://www.hawkgtforum.com/forum/honda ... t-canadian
spotthedogg

Postby John Hilmer » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:36 am

Folks,

Some poor images of repairs I've made using the ABS sheet stock and ABS glue.

This is a patch to repair a crack along an edge of a fairing.

The following are three reconstructions which need to be dressed.

The Above shows a filling where to PO thinned down a section of a major crack, backed up in the previous image, in an attempt to repair it. Whatever he used didn't stick to the ABS. I removed his material and added a blend of ABS glue and chips/shavings of ABS to thicken the applied mess. The Vixen file that you see is a very good tool for dressing these repairs though it works better if it is following a double cut to get rid of major spikes etc.

John
Lord help me to be the man my Labrador thought I was.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood ...
John Hilmer

Postby MarkinNam » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:18 am

If you ask nicely at the M/c wreckers you can pick up some scrap ABS, then get a cheap soldering iron ( and for the Americans, soLdering has an l in it not sodder )flatten the tip to look like a butter knife. cut your patch / bracket and place in position, with the iron hot work it between parent and patch so both surfaces become molten, remove the iron and apply pressure while running the iron over the top to smooth the patch / bracket. Forming 90 or other bends are made by running the iron across the in side of the angle. sorry I don't have pics
Romans 8;28 And we know in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose....Everyone's mind is a different world
MarkinNam

Postby Yamahawk » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:52 am

I believe Acetone will dissolve ABS, or styrene, or most plastics… you can make an ABS slurry out of this, and paddle it into your repair, whether it is missing pieces or just cracked…
I have had great success on cracks using the Plastic Welder 2-part glue that is available in most auto parts stores, it is the highest PSI of any 2-part epoxies out there. I take a rotary file and groove the back of the crack, almost all the way through, and use 60 grit to rough up the edges and the surface around the crack, on the BACK side of the fairing or piece I am repairing, before slathering it into the groove, overlapping into the 60 grit area. It will NEVER break there again lol… It does come in different colors too, black and opaque white, or cream color.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son,that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have Eternal Life.John 3:16
For God didn't send His Son to the world to condemn the world, but through Him world might be saved .John 3:17
Yamahawk

Return to Bodywork & Detailing