mirror and windscreen interference fix needed

Help to keep your ride pretty!

mirror and windscreen interference fix needed

Postby olhondaguy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:40 am

I can't believe Honda sold this bike with the mirrors hitting the windscreen at full lock. Has anyone come up with a simple solution for this aggravating fault?
olhondaguy

Re: mirror and windscreen interference fix needed

Postby ExTex77 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:30 pm

Hi,

No, the stock mirrors worked with the windshield ok, but when broken, they were impossible to replace.
The stock mirrors were build with a ca 1" offset for the mirror stalk from the mounting bolt.
So, any attempt to use standard mirrors does result in the mirror stalks hitting the windshield near full turn.
Mirror extenders are the logical answer to mirror replacement and fabricating your own extenders is far cheaper than purchasing them.

It sounds like your mirrors were already replaced so all you need are the extenders, nuts and washers.

Did this answer your question ?

Ride Safely,
ExTex
1989 Honda VTR250 & 1988 Honda NT650
Wife rides a Burgman 200 scooter and I enjoy riding it also
ExTex77

Re: mirror and windscreen interference fix needed

Postby olhondaguy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:54 pm

ExTex, I figured it out-rotate the bars to full lock and remove the mirrors. With the bars at full lock in both directions,back off the lock nuts on the mirror shaft, screw the mirrors back in until they make contact with the windscreen and back them out a turn or so until they clear the windscreen. Lock the set nuts. Worked today on my daily ride But, I am still enthralled with mirrors projecting from the windscreen or fairing like some other bikes have. This maybe a project down the road when I find mirrors with the right stalk angle and length. My mirror stalk angle isn't right to do this.Maybe someone else has done this windscreen/fairing mirror relocation thing and can offer advise.
olhondaguy

Return to Bodywork & Detailing