Engine Cover Fairings? Rear Seat Cover?

Help to keep your ride pretty!

Engine Cover Fairings? Rear Seat Cover?

Postby thunder44 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:33 pm

Hey Guys,

There is a '89 vtr on ebay right now that has side fairings covering the majority of the engine. Anyone seen these before? Or better yet, know where to get some? I always thought it looked like something could fit there.

IMAG0174[1].jpg
From ebay. Sorry clarity not good

ALSO, have seen a couple VTR's with a plastic fairing over the rear portion of the seat. I like the look. Any ideas on where that came from?

Just wondering as I finish my project.

Thanks
Last edited by thunder44 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
thunder44

Re: Engine Cover Fairings? Rear Seat Cover?

Postby the benz master » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:29 am

these panels (mid fairings) were discontinued like 15-20 years ago, they were made by lockheart phillips back then. They dont have the molds anymore and no one has successfully made replicas so your best bes is to buy that bike on ebay or find some of these on ebay (they apparently come up from time to time but expect them to be very expensive)

Huck made some seat cowl replicas some time ago... but were hard to sell so he stopped production... so once again, ebay is your best bet...
the benz master

Postby Bronco638 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:52 am

The only other set of Lockheart Phillips mid-fairings I've seen was on a VTR that was on CL Grand Rapids MI. That was over a year ago. If you really like them, buy 'em when you see 'em. They don't pop up very often.

As for the rear seat cowl, I thought someone here was working on a form (John?).
2002 Honda XR250R
2002 Honda Reflex
1993 Aprilia 280R Climber
Bronco638

Postby John Hilmer » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:20 am

Dave & All,

Working on making new seat cowls is an embarassing thing at this point.

I have had Chris's mold for far too long and have yet to make the first article.

It will happen and then Chris will be able to make them for folks.

John
Lord help me to be the man my Labrador thought I was.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood ...
John Hilmer

Postby thunder44 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:38 pm

Excellent info guys. You all really know your stuff. That's exactly why I joined. Appreciate it. Let's keep this one open just in case... I got Dibs!!!!! :lol:
thunder44

Postby squidshady » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:10 pm

I won't even buy a VTR250 unless it comes with all those extra's

squidshady

Postby XRayHound » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:35 am

The price on that bike is way too high to justify buying it for the LH fairings alone, sadly. I made mad bank early this year, though, when I found a non-running '88 for $300 that had an OEM solo seat cowl on it. I literally made 100% of my initial investment back on the solo cowl alone. Of the three Holy Grails of the VTR250, it's the only one I have seen and touched with my own two eyes and hands, the others being the Lockhart fairings and the VTR250 specific fitment Yoshimura slip-on. I always keep my eyes peeled for the Holy Grails when a junker VTR shows up on CL around here; any one of the three can easily justify investment in a whole bike. One day I'm going to find a '90 with a solo cowl, Lockharts, and a Yoshi can with a blown engine or a missing title and proceed to laugh all the way to Paypal. MUHAHAHAHA.
XRayHound

Postby spotthedogg » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:12 am

"Of the three Holy Grails of the VTR250, it's the only one I have seen and touched with my own two eyes and hands, the others being the Lockhart fairings and the VTR250 specific fitment Yoshimura slip-on. "

I have the Yosh and the solo seat cowl, they cost me about 30% of the bikes purchase price. I didn't say I was rational and hey, I have no kids.

VT250F2H Track. sARL AM #72
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1415
1989 HAWK GT NT696 Race Bike
https://www.hawkgtforum.com/forum/honda ... t-canadian
spotthedogg

Postby spotthedogg » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:13 am

I should have just bought the Airtech race tail
VT250F2H Track. sARL AM #72
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1415
1989 HAWK GT NT696 Race Bike
https://www.hawkgtforum.com/forum/honda ... t-canadian
spotthedogg

Postby squidshady » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:55 am

spotthedogg wrote:"Of the three Holy Grails of the VTR250, it's the only one I have seen and touched with my own two eyes and hands, the others being the Lockhart fairings and the VTR250 specific fitment Yoshimura slip-on. "

I have the Yosh and the solo seat cowl, they cost me about 30% of the bikes purchase price. I didn't say I was rational and hey, I have no kids.

Unfortunately that is the wrong yoshi...

The one you want has the rolled lip nozzle on the end can and a different internal baffle that can be easily removed :)

squidshady

Next

Return to Bodywork & Detailing