Taillight not on when running

Chasing electrical bugs can drive you crazy! Here is where you can get your sanity back.

Taillight not on when running

Postby justusdude » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:44 pm

So I recently picked up a taillight from the Japanese VT250F with integrated turn signals and have been trying to install it (fun fact: the US fender still has mounting holes for these lights built into the plastic) but now I'm having an issue. Turn signals work and brake light works (light functions when pressing the brake). However the running light on the taillight isn't working for some reason now. I've used my multimeter to test and found that there is no voltage in the main tail light connector unless you are on the brake (for the brake light), the now unused license light is also not working (0V). Can anyone help me figure out my issue? Tried two bulbs and two main tail light connectors and nothing works..

Issue shouldn't be related to the new taillight itself, something just happened to go wrong while I was installing I guess
justusdude

Re: Taillight not on when running

Postby squirrelman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:14 pm

power to taillight comes off the ignition switch brown wire, so test there first. next, check continuity of brown wire at switch to the brown wire going to taillight.
Last edited by squirrelman on Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squirrelman

Postby boomtank » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:18 pm

Do you have dash lights? If not, I would say burnt fuse. Otherwise work your way back with a voltmeter until you spot the issue.
Another thing to check is the wiring for the lights. There's a lot of wires and connections back there so double check them all.
Keep the rubber side down out there ;)
Speed never hurt anyone. It's the sudden stop at the end that does :o

1988 Honda VTR250 interceptor
(aka the bottle rocket)
boomtank

Postby justusdude » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:22 pm

Figured it out, was a blown fuse that didn't appear blown until I checked it with a tester

Thanks all
justusdude

Postby ExTex77 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:23 pm

I always replace a suspect fuse just in case it looks ok but isn't

ride safely
ExTex
1989 Honda VTR250 & 1988 Honda NT650
Wife rides a Burgman 200 scooter and I enjoy riding it also
ExTex77

Return to Electrical