Pulse Generators

Chasing electrical bugs can drive you crazy! Here is where you can get your sanity back.

Re: Pulse Generators

Postby HerbertFriendly » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:03 am

Here's what I'm working with. The sub frame mods and harness changes existed when I got the bike.

IMG_6460.JPG

IMG_6461.JPG

IMG_6462.JPG

IMG_6463.JPG

IMG_6464.JPG

IMG_6465.JPG

IMG_6466.JPG

IMG_6467.JPG
1989 vtr250 street fighter. Found in a field, I'm trying to bring her back to life.
HerbertFriendly

Postby HerbertFriendly » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:33 pm

Ok. Testing the 6 point on the harness side, I did get that in between reading (8-9) from Gr and either of the blue and yellow wires. Although I didn't the first few times I tried, I got nothing while the starter was rolling, and when I stopped I get a little burst from .5-2.0 (mostly between .5 and 1 but as high as the low twos. Also, I noticed my lights are dimming while the starter is rolling.
1989 vtr250 street fighter. Found in a field, I'm trying to bring her back to life.
HerbertFriendly

Postby squirrelman » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:33 am

HerbertFriendly wrote: I noticed my lights are dimming while the starter is rolling.

all bikes do that, it's normal. 8-)

measure battery voltage both at rest and while cranking starter.

if the battery isn't good it can crank the starter but not have enough more power to spark the cdi !!!!!!!!!! :arrow: :o
squirrelman

Postby HerbertFriendly » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:11 pm

Brand new battery, spark plugs and oil as of early last month. I'll throw a charge at it and perform this test. I'm leaning towards CDI. The 6 and 4 points leading to the CDI tested well-ish and my coils tested well-ish. How can I ship that out to you, squirrelman?!
HerbertFriendly

Postby squirrelman » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:58 pm

PM'ed you with contact details. ;)
squirrelman

Postby OnlyDANNiE » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:18 am

I believe the CDI unit sends a ground pulse to the Coil which in turn ignites/activates the coil to fire...

You will not get a pulse voltage at the coil terminals unless you crank the motor; if the voltage doesnt pulse the CDI is bad...
If the bike runs; the CDI unit is still good...

What is the running Voltage at the battery and have you checked that you have solid grounding at the Rectifier to the frame and ground wire between Engine, battery, and frame..?

The only way the CDI unit goes bad is if the Rectifier damaged it from over-charging; in which case the MOV & Diode will need replacing...
Likely in your case just the Diode; as the unit is working and will work for some time with a failing diode that was baked from a battle with a bad rectifier...

OnlyDANNiE
OnlyDANNiE

Postby squirrelman » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:51 pm

squirrelman wrote:PM'ed you with contact details. ;)

Sorry, Herb, but i can't test your cdi now as the engine is out of the bike and coming apart for headgasket changes. :(
squirrelman

Previous

Return to Electrical