Loose camshaft chain

Major engine repair tips

Re: Loose camshaft chain

Postby Barbie & Skipper » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:28 am

Agreed about the JIS screwdrivers. Even with the proper screwdrivers, old phillips head screws tend to be problematic. After 30 years, there are lots of issues. Prior owners/mechanics using the wrong screwdrivers. Stuck/frozen/corroded threads. Soft metal. Inaccessible angles. Etc. That's why I often like replacing them.

In the case of the connecting bolt, it is mostly a question of access. It's difficult, if not impossible to get a straight shot at the bolt with the engine in the bike. A hex bolt and a box wrench makes the job easy.
Barbie - 89 VTR250 - 6k+, back on the road.
Skipper - 90 VTR250 - 36k+, painted black & white, "ran when parked", upcoming project.
Parts bike - 90 VTR250 - 22k+, "maintained" by idiots, but mostly complete, no title.
Barbie & Skipper

Postby Janovich » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:53 pm

Yeh I tried to get them untightened but they were completely stuck. Used the proper philips driver but they stripped instantly, there was not a chance.
Janovich

Postby Murdo1 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:14 pm

SHCS (Socket Head Cap Screws) used with a ball end T handle Allen screw driver work well at angles up to about 20 degrees.
Murdo1

Postby squirrelman » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:39 pm

Barbie & Skipper wrote:Agreed about the JIS screwdrivers. Even with the proper screwdrivers, old phillips head screws tend to be problematic. After 30 years, there are lots of issues. Prior owners/mechanics using the wrong screwdrivers. Stuck/frozen/corroded threads. Soft metal. Inaccessible angles. Etc.

This is what i found on a recent VTR carb cleaning job from a member here. somewhereomeone mutilated the screws, and it took alot of tricks to get these out. ;) :x

july 25-18 021.JPG
squirrelman

Postby Murdo1 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:37 pm

Ouch. Guess they didn't know about the JIS screwdrivers.
Murdo1

Postby Janovich » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:56 am

Taken the heads off. This is the front one. The chain looks to be tensioned pretty fine, not really any slack as far as I can tell.
If anyone notices anything specific from the picture, please let me know.

So I suppose the cam chain tensioners are on the inside bottom of the engine? I have looked all around
and can not find anything outside of the engine which could indicate I could tension them from without.

Supposing the camshaft chain is alright, what else could produce the ticking/rattling sound?
Janovich

Postby squirrelman » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:59 pm

tensioner is visible in photo, 4 bolts, just under the chain. fixin it would require removal, draining, cleaning, refilling and pumping up according to service manual directions. can be removed without removing head entirely.

there's a chance that one or more bolts have backed out from the starter clutch and are rubbing against the clutch cover, something i've seen on a VTR before.

remove small inspection cover to check. it's possible to tighten those bolts without removing the main cover.
squirrelman

Previous

Return to Engine