Cleaning Internal Carb Parts - the Brass Ones

How to keep your little baby running smoothly.

Re: Cleaning Internal Carb Parts - the Brass Ones

Postby ranathane » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:37 pm

John my roommate plays a guitar and a g string may actually be the correct one. I'll let ya'll know.
Ralph Daugherty
AMA Member 2892740
ranathane
Site Admin

Postby Bronco638 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:56 am

slimshady wrote:Call him up and ask if you can borrow a "G" string.

:lol:
John Hilmer wrote:Folks,

I'm a bit disappointed in the last two replies.

So far this board has been clear of such nonsense and I would like to see it continue that way.

John

That was no joke, John.
2002 Honda XR250R
2002 Honda Reflex
1993 Aprilia 280R Climber
Bronco638

Postby UK Keith » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:03 am

At the risk of sending this thread back on track I've just measured a strand from a bicycle gear cable at 0.3mm or 0.012". Surely asking at your local bike shop for an off cut would be the cheapest way of getting hold of some.
UK Keith
Donator

Postby Sir Real Ed » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:43 pm

UK Keith wrote:At the risk of sending this thread back on track I've just measured a strand from a bicycle gear cable at 0.3mm or 0.012". Surely asking at your local bike shop for an off cut would be the cheapest way of getting hold of some.

Keith, Do you have a wire brush lying around? Yank a piece of wire out of that and measure it. I was able to use a bit of that to clean the holes on the side of the pilot jet.
Sir Real Ed

Postby UK Keith » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:17 am

A strand from my wire brush measured 0.013". As it looked a bit thicker than the gear wire I remeasured that and got 0.008" this time. Not sure what I did yesterday?
UK Keith
Donator

Postby Farmboy79 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:40 am

In other forums, I have seen the guitar E string specified as the wire to use. I believe it is the smallest diameter, highest pitch string on the instrument. You can buy them at any music store but you have to buy a complete set of guitar strings. I have used strands of broken throttle and clutch cables or some .010 dia nichrome wire given to me by a fellow scrounger who was downsizing. The nichrome was used long ago to rewind toaster elements or make custom resistors for electronic equipment before we became a throwaway society. I have also cleaned with micro drill bits but only in extreme cases where carb cleaner (I recommend Berrymans B-12), pine sol or boiling failed to dislodge deposits. If you use drill bits turn them only with your fingers and make sure they the same size or smaller than the hole in question to prevent damage to the jet.
'88 VTR250 VroomVroom
'88 VTR250 MiniVee Supertrapp
'81 CB900F Silver Bullet
'03 EX250F Bumblebee
'83 GS750ED Red Rocket II
Farmboy79

Postby spotthedogg » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:37 pm

I pulled my carbs off and was going to take them to a guy to clean and inspect them but after reading this how to and looking at the service manual I decided what the heck.

I didn't find anything strange, bowls very clean, diaphragms look new, one of the rubber air funnels was pinched and was a bit bowed and I'd imagine not fully sealed. I cleaned and washed everything ,ordered some new jets and figured I would just wait for them to show up.

The pilot screws/fuel mixture screws I wasn't going to touch but after looking at the plugs I could see someone was in there before. Again I thought, may as well check, one was at 1.8 turns out and the other was all the way in! I set them to spec 2.5 turns out and we will see how that works once back on the bike.

Other than body panels this is the first evidence of anybody tooling around with the bike that may have been negative.
VT250F2H Track. sARL AM #72
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1415
1989 HAWK GT NT696 Race Bike
https://www.hawkgtforum.com/forum/honda ... t-canadian
spotthedogg

Postby John Hilmer » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:55 pm

spotthedogg wrote:I pulled my carbs off and was going to take them to a guy to clean and inspect them but after reading this how to and looking at the service manual I decided what the heck.

I didn't find anything strange, bowls very clean, diaphragms look new, one of the rubber air funnels was pinched WARNING SIGNS and was a bit bowed and I'd imagine not fully sealed MORE WARNING SIGNS. I cleaned and washed everything ,ordered some new jets and figured I would just wait for them to show up.

The pilot screws/fuel mixture screws I wasn't going to touch but after looking at the plugs I could see someone was in there before. Again I thought, may as well check, one was at 1.8 turns out and the other was all the way in! I set them to spec 2.5 turns out and we will see how that works once back on the bike. Yet more warning signs.

Because of the above I would assume that the carbs need a complete rebuild with new needle jets, "O"rings for them, new ... everything except float valves if you can prove them good, but being me I would replace them also.

Other than body panels this is the first evidence of anybody tooling around with the bike that may have been negative.
Perhaps, but the above worries me more that a bit.

Now, I'm signing off for today, really,

John
Lord help me to be the man my Labrador thought I was.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood ...
John Hilmer

Previous

Return to Maintenance/Minor Repairs