Lots of play between the front forks.

How to keep your little baby running smoothly.

Lots of play between the front forks.

Postby HerbertFriendly » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:33 am

First off hello. My name is Stefan, I'm new to this site, this bike, and riding in general. I'm excited to explore all three, and would love to learn enough to eventually contribute myself! I live in Portland, Oregon, and am the proud new owner of a 1989 vtr250. The bike was found in a field, no title, no keys. I got the bike for pretty much free, it's had subframe mods to transition into a street fighter and some electrical has been relocated. How ever, I'd like to ask a question about the forks of our little friends. As it sits, there is a lot of space between the front forks and the rim itself, so much so that the funky rim won't hug the notch on the fork itself. To be clear, the rim fits the axle well, but can bounce back and forth between the forks. I'm not sure if I'm missing a component, I couldn't find an existing conversation about it here and the manual is vague enough that I'm having a very difficult time. So I thought I would create a thread. Any help would be appreciated, and thanks to every one who has contributed in general, I've enjoyed reading and learning so far!

This what I'm dealing with as far as the axle. There isn't anywhere to wrench, and when I removed the bolts that hold the axle I couldn't work out how I'd go about manipulating the axle at all... hopefully I'm just being a bone head.
Attachments
IMG_5681.JPG
IMG_5680.JPG
IMG_5677.JPG
Last edited by HerbertFriendly on Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1989 vtr250 street fighter. Found in a field, I'm trying to bring her back to life.
HerbertFriendly

Re: Lots of play between the front forks.

Postby John Hilmer » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Stefan,

First, welcome aboard.

That front brake assembly is from either an '88 or '89 model, not a '90. From the images you may also need a new axel.

It would seem that you are missing some spacers, so have a look here: http://shop.discounthondaparts.com/fich ... veh=131921

Somewhere on this board is a manual that you can down load which will be a big help to you. I don't ever seem to be able to find it, but ExTex77 might chime in to spoon feed you.

Best,

John
Lord help me to be the man my Labrador thought I was.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood ...
John Hilmer

Postby ExTex77 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:46 pm

here is the manual as a PDF for download.
http://vtr250.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50

Ride safely
ExTex
1989 Honda VTR250 & 1988 Honda NT650
Wife rides a Burgman 200 scooter and I enjoy riding it also
ExTex77

Postby HerbertFriendly » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:54 pm

Thanks so much for the replies, means a lot. I found the manual a few weeks back (here on this site), but looking at the front wheel assembly was a little confusing, the link to DHP provided much nicer pictures. When you tighten the axle bolts does it pinch the fork in toward the wheel? Do the spacers expand the wheel assembly so it fits snug? I'm having a hard time finding information about the assembly, after pulling the two bolts off the fork I couldn't even see a way to back the axle out, I'm a little embarrassed ... I searched "front axle" on this site and looked at the 30 or so results before I posted, I couldn't find what I was after, although I read and learned quite a bit while I was looking. I apologize if this topic has been covered here and appreciate any and all help I can get. I'm determined to get this little giant operational! Here are some better pictures of the play I'm referring to, and from what I can tell that is what's in there.
Attachments
IMG_5723.JPG
IMG_5724.JPG
IMG_5725.JPG
IMG_5722.PNG
IMG_5721.PNG
1989 vtr250 street fighter. Found in a field, I'm trying to bring her back to life.
HerbertFriendly

Postby HerbertFriendly » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:02 pm

Also I have corrected the "1990" on this post as well as my signifure. I was also confused by that, as I've read the difference in years and wheels, but am stickered up as a 90. Although looking at it, it says 89 in the corner....
Attachments
IMG_5679.JPG
HerbertFriendly

Postby squirrelman » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:53 pm

If i doesn't have a conventional disc brake in front, it's not a '90. looks like the brake shield hasn't seated in the fork groove fully on left side.

you'll need to fix the fork/axle problem b4 riding.
squirrelman

Postby Murdo1 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:39 am

Your definately missing a spacer there, will have a look at mine in morning and get back to you. May also be the wrong axel?
Murdo1

Postby John Hilmer » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:33 am

Stefan,

Your VTR is a 1990 model that was manufactured in 9/89. It is an early manufactured 1990 version, which is quite common for Honda. Someone has changed the front wheel to an '88 or '89 version. I can't tell if they also changed out the front forks, but if you look at the DHP site for the front wheel of the '90 version you'll see that the front axel is quite different. It seems to me that the front axel, fork lowers and wheel would all have to match or things just aren't going to work properly. In any case, you are missing a spacer at a minimum. If the parts are mixed between the year versions it is going to be nearly impossible to get it all assembled so that it will work properly.

You can prove the year model of the bike buy indenifying the size of the drive chain and sprockets. From memory they would be 428's for the '90, if they haven't been changed out previously, which would be doubtful. The earlier versions were larger.

Another source for parts, though expensive, is: https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-vtr250-inte ... ml#results

Note that the axel and the axel nut are available from them, where they are not available in the US. Now it would seem that you'll have to determine if the fork lowers are from an 88/89 or from the '90. The key is in the fact that the '88/'89 has the left hand lower tapped for he axel, where the '90 is not.

I hope this gets you going in the right direction.

John
Lord help me to be the man my Labrador thought I was.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood ...
John Hilmer

Postby HerbertFriendly » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:36 pm

Had an hour to spare so I thought I'd see what I could see with the a axle today. Got it up on the stand in a way that made it possible to loosen the bolts on the fork lowers, but still couldn't find a way to actually pull the axle out!!! I took some pictures to give everyone a better idea of what I'm seeing. It looks like everything goes together....but I'm obviously not the expert! Hahaha Thanks again for the care and consideration.
Attachments
IMG_5730.JPG
IMG_5729.JPG
IMG_5728.JPG
IMG_5727.JPG
HerbertFriendly

Postby Murdo1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:59 am

Hey Stefan, I think you have the wrong axel in there. To tighten mine it has a hex head on the right side and screws into the left fork leg.
zzr 5 017.JPG

zzr 5 017.JPG
Attachments
zzr 5 018.JPG
Murdo1

Next

Return to Maintenance/Minor Repairs