Cable lube tool

How to keep your little baby running smoothly.

Cable lube tool

Postby John Hilmer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:24 pm

Folks,

I'm not sure that this belongs here, but I want to ask about the cable cleaning/lubricating tool that I have seen in a few places.

This tool attaches to the cable jacket/cable and allows us to insert the tiny "straw" of spray cans to it to force the fluid through the cable to either clean or lube the same.

Has anyone here bought and used one?

I would like to use something like this to flush my cables with a cleaner and then apply a Teflon type lube.

Any intelligence about this would be much appreciated.

I can see me buying one and then being disappointed with cleaner in my eyes and so forth. Brand names of what works would be helpful.

John
Lord help me to be the man my Labrador thought I was.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood ...
John Hilmer

Re: Cable lube tool

Postby ExTex77 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:07 pm

I bought one in 2007 and attempted to use it a few times... Not very successfully.
I don't remember the name of it, but it had 1 screw. I would try the dual screw model next time>
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/motorcycle/Cable%20Lubricator

I think it might work better and the price is small. I like many motion pro tools.

Ride Safely,
ExTex
1989 Honda VTR250 & 1988 Honda NT650
Wife rides a Burgman 200 scooter and I enjoy riding it also
ExTex77

Postby YoshiHNS » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:15 am

Yeah. That isn't very much. Probably the same or less as a cable. I ended up replacing cables on the track bike, but those looked more damaged than sticky. Slippery cables are nice. Actually might pick this tool up as well, now that I start to think about the project bikes laying around that could probably use this.
1971 Suzuki MT50
1985 VF500C
1989 VTR250
1996 VFR750F stock
1996 VFR750F 'VFR1CATI" Project
1998 VFR800
YoshiHNS

Postby Bronco638 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:39 am

I have one, the make and model escape me right now (Motion Pro?). I don't think it was worth the money. It just makes a mess and I don't think any lube makes it inside the sheath.
2002 Honda XR250R
2002 Honda Reflex
1993 Aprilia 280R Climber
Bronco638

Postby John Hilmer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:47 am

Folks,

Thanks for the intelligence on this.

It sounds as though my fears are well founded.

I think I'm not going to buy one and just struggle along as before.

John
Lord help me to be the man my Labrador thought I was.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood ...
John Hilmer

Postby UK Keith » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:36 pm

My experience with bicycle repairs in my shop tells me that replacement if it is an option, is by far preferable to lubrication. Modern cables have the inner wire running through a nylon (or plastic of some sort) low friction liner inside the outer case. Once that liner has been worn by the ingress of dirt or rust there's no going back, the cable will never again perform as well as a new one.
UK Keith
Donator

Postby Bronco638 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:35 am

I do know that Motion Pro's replacement cables have a Teflon shroud on the cable itself. It's supposed to not require any lubricant.

If I have some time, I'll take new cables and hang them by a barrel end, which usually exposes a portion (an inch or so) of the cable. I'll then shoot some DuPont Teflon spray on the exposed cable and allow it to creep down the cable, inside the sheath. I usually let it sit overnight.
2002 Honda XR250R
2002 Honda Reflex
1993 Aprilia 280R Climber
Bronco638

Postby spotthedogg » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:15 am

Good cables shouldn't be lubed, that's why they have a dry liner. Lube just gums up and collects dirt ;) IMO
As a bandaid to get them working temporarily.... go for it
VT250F2H Track. sARL AM #72
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1415
1989 HAWK GT NT696 Race Bike
https://www.hawkgtforum.com/forum/honda ... t-canadian
spotthedogg
Site Admin

Postby Guaire » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:42 am

Yamaha has distributed that lube system. You can get the aerosol can with a connector made to use with the rubber fitting. You need to match the stepped rubber cable fitting to the right thickness selection. That's when I attach the oiler's tube into the hole. Turn the tightening screw, but not enough to squish the small lube hole. Connect the the can to the tube. Put a rag over the whole thing. Hit the spray button. When oil squirts from the lower end of the cable, you're done. Mop up if you need to.
Another way to lube: detach the lever end of the cable. Hold it up with a string in the air/vertically. Make a funnel around the cable, tape it closed around cable. Fill the 'bag' with machine oil. Come back tomorrow. You're lubed.
The fitting isn't bulletproof. Too tight and no lube goes through. Too loose, and lubed squirts out the other side of the fitting. I use pliers to grip and turn as tight as I can, up to the point of squishing the lube input hole.
Guaire

Postby Macmorgan » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:23 pm

John,
I know you asked this a while back re: lubing the cables with a "cable lubing tool." It's tough getting the proper fit of the cable-ends into the the rubber sleeve. I've had a couple of them, Motion Pro sells them, and I think they work if the cable ends fit and that's not always the case. Some say that the oil attracts dirt... Not so much if you use a good product. The DuPont Teflon lube works well and flows easily. It's good for just about anything you can think of. The carb cables on the VTR I just started working on were so stiff that the throttle grip would not return on its own. I dripped some of the Dupont product (you can get it at Lowes in a spray or plastic can) down the end and worked the cable back and forth... It finally worked its way through. I'd spend my $ on the Dupont Teflon product first.

Mac Morgan
Macmorgan

Return to Maintenance/Minor Repairs