Tutorial: DIY Replacing Fork Seals

How to keep your little baby running smoothly.

Re: Tutorial: DIY Replacing Fork Seals

Postby MarkinNam » Mon May 04, 2015 4:24 am

Some times it just doesn't get through my thick skull, I read your detail a couple of times, what i didn't do was remove the oil stop and retainer ring :roll: once I had done that I remembered seeing this fool on utube trying to use compressed air and ratchet tie downs. Well the air worked great, I was lucky the way they came apart, just a little pop and it was done, on reinstalling it would be SUPER if one had a spare backing ring/washer. Place this on top of the seal when driving it home with the PVC tube, works for 1 shock only. The seals I got are the best on the market too//// for 4 bucks :D , I used a length of brazing rod and marked of 124mm to measure to the top of the oil,,, Mot hai ba yO ( veit for cheers )
Romans 8;28 And we know in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose....Everyone's mind is a different world
MarkinNam

Postby MarkinNam » Mon May 04, 2015 4:49 am

Just looking around for break pads and found this, looks like many interchangeable parts on the VTZ250 H https://www.google.com.au/search?q=hond ... B640%3B640
Romans 8;28 And we know in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose....Everyone's mind is a different world
MarkinNam

Postby B to the R » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:46 am

My oil & dust seals decided to go out on one side, on my last ride. I need to do a full R & R now. Got the parts in today, not looking forward to doing this job, but gotta do it. I'll try to remember to update after I get it done.
"A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a trip to the bathroom" B. R.
B to the R

Postby cawalther » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:02 am

Sure thing man, keep us posted! You doing both while you're at it right?
Walth
89 VTR 250 (since '07)
06 DR650se (since April '15)
cawalther

Postby spotthedogg » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:02 am

don't be intimidated, this is a pretty easy job.
VT250F2H Track. sARL AM #72
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1415
1989 HAWK GT NT696 Race Bike
https://www.hawkgtforum.com/forum/honda ... t-canadian
spotthedogg

Postby kbraun » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:52 am

i just wanted to give a huge thanks to cawalther and all others who helped post this. i have very little motorcycle mechanical experience i was able to change my fork seals in about an hour and a half with around 30 dollars worth of parts, where as my local mechanics shop wanted to charge me 250 dollars. thankyou all for the help :D
88 vtr250 (my baby)
89 vtr250 (not currently running)
90 vtr250 (donor bike)
kbraun

Postby cawalther » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:20 am

Yeah! That's what it's all about!
Walth
89 VTR 250 (since '07)
cawalther

Postby B to the R » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:05 pm

Well the other day I thought I'd start the process, or at least get ready. So the first thing to do is secure the bike to work on it, right? My plan was to use my swingarm stand to hold the rear in place, and I was going to put a floor jack under the engine to keep it up in the air after I removed the wheel/forks. Well, my swingarm stand has adjustments for the width, but when I adjusted it for the narrowest width possible, it was still about 1" too wide.

What do I do? Modify something on the stand? I could have some custom brackets made, but that would be a big hassle and expense (I don't have my own machine shop). I might be able to buy a new swingarm stand that is narrower, but again some cost to that. What have you guys done about this? Any tricks I'm overlooking?
B to the R

Postby cawalther » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:31 pm

a block of wood under the engine does fine to keep it straight with the back wheel down. Yeah, I bought some of those cheap harborfreight motorcycle angle iron lifts and they were sketchy. If you install spools to the swingarm, you might meet that 1" gap with ease.

also, you can ratchet strap to the bike and jack to kind of steady it if you feel you need it. I feel like I've used jackstands on each side of the bike, too.. but it's been years. Once you loosen everything up and THEN lift the bike, it's just gentle disassembly. And the more stuff you take off the front, the lighter the front gets.
Walth
89 VTR 250 (since '07)
cawalther

Postby B to the R » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:25 pm

Just got finished with this job now. Everything seems good but I haven't actually gone for a ride yet :?

So first step was getting the bike raised. My solution was to use the swingarm stand that I had. I took off the original swingarm holder brackets (that were too wide), and I went to Home Depot & bought a couple of really long carriage bolts, along with some nuts. I chose the carriage bolts because I liked the idea of having the head on the inside edges of the swingarm so that it couldn't slip off towards the inside, and it seemed like the head on the carriage bolts was bigger than the hex heads. So I just installed the bolts through the hole that the normal brackets go through, and then adjusted the lengths on both sides to the proper distance and locked them in place with hex nuts on both sides of the bolts (along with washers). This raised the effective height of the bike because the original brackets have a step in them, but the difference was only about 1". After I got the back end secured with the swingarm stand, then I just put a jack under the engine for support while the front end was apart.

Dealing with the forks themselves was pretty straight forward. All seems good except for one thing. When I grab the front brake and push on the fork, I get a little clunking from the brake backing plate where it notches into the fork tab. I don't remember having that before.
B to the R

PreviousNext

Return to Maintenance/Minor Repairs