Lots of play between the front forks.

How to keep your little baby running smoothly.

Re: Lots of play between the front forks.

Postby HerbertFriendly » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:53 pm

I also think I have the wrong axle in the bike... bummer. Would the 1990 fork still have the notch on the inner side for the wheel to hug? Can you explain what you mean by "tapped"? one side is threaded, the side that has the two bolts to loosen it is round where it meets the axle. Also, how would I go about getting this axle out of here?! It has me stumped completely, can't even figure out how somebody got it in to begin with!! Thanks so much for the replies, it's amazing what community has been built here!!!
1989 vtr250 street fighter. Found in a field, I'm trying to bring her back to life.
HerbertFriendly

Postby Murdo1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:04 pm

'Tapped' means threaded with a 'tap' (a threading tool used to make the thread).
To get that axel out you will need to undo the clamp with the two bolts and compress that fork (or loosen the tripple tree bolts and slide the fork leg up to clear it, mudguard off first) enough to get the axel past the bolts and use a spanner on the two flats that are on the piece that is clamped. When apart you will be able to work out what needs to be changed to make it fit and may be able to get an engineering firm to machine a new axel (or even re machine yours so it fits) and weld a nut to the end so you can screw it in (and out). Hope this helps.
Murdo1

Postby squirrelman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:29 pm

take a close look at a parts fiche, then look to junkyards or ebay for an axle replacement.
squirrelman

Postby HerbertFriendly » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:57 pm

ok! Thanks all!!! I'll get to that this weekend, and update Monday.
1989 vtr250 street fighter. Found in a field, I'm trying to bring her back to life.
HerbertFriendly

Postby HerbertFriendly » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:05 am

Update. Today, as I gathered what I thought I may need remove my front wheel, I realized my stand would not allow me manipulate the forks. As I stared at the bike and asked my self how I could get the front end off the ground I realized that the whole fork assembly is backwards!!! The brake caliper is on the riders right side!!! So I need to pull the whole front end and see what the heck is happening.. Another surprise in along list bahahahaha. Including finding a sub amp fuse assembly with a nail in extending the starter motor cable...yeah. Ok next step. Is anyone aware of any real pictures of the the whole front wheel assembly coming together? It'd be nice to be able to see the real deal so I can discern what's missing. Backwards...unreal..
HerbertFriendly

Postby squirrelman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:16 pm

you really need to view the factory service manual for clear directions !!!! ;)

btw, you may need an additional pair of hands to get the front wheel on correctly as several pieces need to be aligned exactly b4 axle will go in.
squirrelman

Postby Murdo1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:15 am

Murdo1

Postby HerbertFriendly » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:22 pm

Ok!! I've ordered a new axle, found a tree I can hang the bike from and purchased some wench straps to get the front end off the ground in a way that I can get to the front fork. Soon I will pull the forks, remove the existing axle, flip the forks around and fit in the new axle. I'm a bit lost with the spacers. I've looked at all the provided links and some that I've found on my own and can't find any parts #'s for spacers. I see dust seals and things like that, is that what is being referred to? My plan was to order all and place what I needed into the assembly, but it looks like I may need to pull the front end and figure out what is missing before I order, I'd really like to avoid having to do that because said tree isn't on my property..haha So Many unique surprises, I'll be starting a build thread soon. Super excited to get the fork rolling. Petcock arrived today and I just assembled the tent in the driveway so I'll have a dry open space to work!! Thanks for all the help so far, you folks are amazing!!!
HerbertFriendly

Previous

Return to Maintenance/Minor Repairs