A big HELLO from New Zealand

Anything NOT related to repairs, parts, etc.

A big HELLO from New Zealand

Postby VTR250 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:55 am

Hey guys and gals

I would like to start with a thankyou to everyone on here, although I have only JUST regested with this wonderful knowledge base, I have been trolling through this endless fountain of knowledge since purchasing my bike.

My names Jay, im 27 years old. Iv been tinkering with engines (mainly cars) and anything mechanical really since I was young, I enjoy the problem solving and the satisfaction of completing something, standing back and having a beer while admirring all the elbow grease.

I bought a 88 VTR250 afew weeks ago. I paid $500 nzd and got x2 VTR250 and x1 Spada. One of the bikes was 80% complete (88 VTR250) the other 2 were only really good for parts (including a center stand ;) ) iv been spending the last couple of weekends putting together the 80% complete bike, I'm almost at the stage of turning the key, pressing start and hoping like hell it runs happily (dreaming?? I hope its a reality!) and taking it for a ride. I'm currently on the hunt for fuel tap, seems to be hard to find, but iv found one from a ?CBR?600. Judging by the photos the guy has sent me, they seem identical except vacuum port is on the same side as the fuel outlet, and the plastic handle looks to be longer. Lol go figure, I have 2 spear engines, but no fuel tap -rolls eyes-. Iv also got a rusty tank, I'll need to treat this with acid. I'll then need a battery and hopefully shell be good to go. I just did spark plugs, oil and filter change before. I have a paranoid feeling I over tightened the center bolt for the filter. I read somewhere here to hand tighten and then give it a nip, I didn't do that -.-' wish I read that before hand lol. I gave it afew good pulls on the ratchet, but nothing felt like it stripped while tightening, I think (hope) it will be okay. But anyway, I just wanted to introduce my self, show you my project and say thanks to everyone!!

Jay
Attachments
IMG_20171209_153420.jpg
IMG_20171209_114626.jpg
IMG_20171216_194347.jpg
VTR250

Re: A big HELLO from New Zealand

Postby ExTex77 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:58 pm

Welcome to the forum.

The fuel tap is called a petcock in the USA (not sure why).

They are hard to find for the VTR250, but EBay shows some Chinese new ones that might work.
I read that the main tank feed (straw) needs to be shortened so that there is more fuel available on the "Main" setting.
You might search the forum for more petcock information.
Getting a handle for it is still a problem. There is a handle sold in Japan but not for the old petcock, I was told.
Don't get confused with the newer VTR250 model 33, which uses a different petcock.

I have a used petcock that fellow forum member says will work (I haven't tested it),
but at about $100 USD plus postage, it is much cheaper to try a few closer to your home.

Ride safely & Merry Christmas
ExTex
1989 Honda VTR250 & 1988 Honda NT650
Wife rides a Burgman 200 scooter and I enjoy riding it also
ExTex77

Postby squirrelman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:36 pm

WELCOME and HELLO !!

i think we're all admiring your font wheel ;)

very doubtful your bike will run without a good carb clean, so if you try starting fluid spray, keep it to a bare minimum as the stuff is very bad for pistons, rings, and cylinders. ;)

from what i read, more sheep than people in NZ :o
squirrelman

Postby VTR250 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:24 pm

I was wondering how long it would take till someone noticed those beautiful front discs, I think it looks great. I would love to know what they came from.

A carb clean is on the cards, epically considering there was rust in the tank. I'm abit hesitant to open them up though, ideally I would like to hear the bike run first, even if it runs like rubbish. At least then I'll know if it doesn't run after a carb clean, then carbs will be the culprit.

Haha we do have a lot of sheep here in nz, maybe I should have made my user name "sheep shagger". Has a good ring to it.

In regaurds to the fuel tap (or petcock *childish giggle*) I think I will get the CBR600 and do some modifying to make it suit the VTR, he's only wanting $40, so its a reasonable price.
VTR250

Postby squirrelman » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:07 pm

your entire front end is from another Honda bike, me thinks. :shock: knowing which bike would be great, so please giv'er a try. :?:

5-9-17 025.JPG

photo of Cheeky, my black-tail prairie dog and sleeping companion ^
squirrelman

Postby VTR250 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:18 pm

And here I was, thinking you might have a pet squirrel ;)
VTR250

Postby squirrelman » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:33 pm

VTR250 wrote:And here I was, thinking you might have a pet squirrel ;)

actually, the prairie dog (Cynomys ludovicianus) is a type of ground squirrel. is he cuter than a wombat ? :P i know it's uncouth that he's not wearing pants. :o
Last edited by squirrelman on Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
squirrelman

Postby VTR250 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:43 am

I think his top half (well, pretty much his head) looks somewhat like a rabbit, giving a stunned look. Like he had just found out Obama was white or something :lol:
Attachments
received_10212740385858755.jpeg
Here's a photo of our dog, laycee. This photo makes me chuckle..every time
VTR250

Postby Murdo1 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:02 am

Welcome Kiwi pal.
You may want to check your valve clearances as they were so tight on mine when I bought it that the engine didn't have enough compression to fire. Carb clean would be a good idea too.
Murdo1

Postby VTR250 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:55 pm

Damn, were they that tight? I'll have to check that out. Iv cleaned both carbs, a tune and sync will be in order. Valves should be properly set before syncing, so this will be done in the near future. Iv had it turning over, but no spark (brake and indicator lights arent working either). Iv cleaned all the plugs and connections, hopefully that will resolve the electrical issues.. I have a funny feeling I'll be pulling out the multimeter today though.

These are nice bikes to work on, really been enjoying it so far
VTR250

Return to VT/VTR General Discussion