Ease of control VTR250 vs other bikes

Anything NOT related to repairs, parts, etc.

Re: Ease of control VTR250 vs other bikes

Postby John Hilmer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:19 am

I would suggest that you also use the float bowl drain screws to insure that the bowls are really empty.

John
Lord help me to be the man my Labrador thought I was.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood ...
John Hilmer

Postby ExTex77 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:50 am

I agree with John. Fully draining the float bowls is better.
ExTex
1989 Honda VTR250 & 1988 Honda NT650
Wife rides a Burgman 200 scooter and I enjoy riding it also
ExTex77

Postby John Hilmer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:19 pm

I thought it might help if I posted a link on how to determine a tires age.

http://www.tirebuyer.com/education/how- ... your-tires

This is very important because as tires age they cannot provide the original grip or handling that they did when new.

The tires on my then "New-To-Me" VF 500 F were quite old. Riding it to the gas station about half a mile away was an eye opener for this. The bike was not responding to handle bar input at all and was dangerous. If I were not experienced enough it could have been very bad.

This is just a heads-up, but an easy thing to check. Any tire older than about 4 or 5 years is suspect and less if it has been in the sun. There is a reason that we see motor homes jacked up with covers over the tires.

Just saying...

John
John Hilmer

Postby gmonsen » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:22 pm

Although no one has said it, there is very likely something wrong with your bike. Even a relatively new rider and one coming from a cruiser would find the VTR250 a very nice handling bike superior in most or all ways to any small cruiser. The VTR is one of the easiest bikes to drive I have ever ridden. However, I don't think I have ever spent any seat time on a "cruiser", although I did once own a 1979 Honda CB650 Custom, which might be a bit cruiser-like. Maybe a cruiser is so very different that the handling of a regular street/sport bike, like the VTR, seems odd. However, the VTR is so intuitive that I am pretty sure something must be amiss with yours. You'll get it sorted.

Also, I'd stick some K100 gas treatment in the tank as insurance. About an ounce per gallon. You can't take enough preventative measures against the satan-ethanol.

Gordon
Bikes: Honda CA95, CB77, CB160, CB450 K1, CB450 K3, GB500, VTR250, CB50S, Moto Guzzi 254, Moto Guzzi V50 Monza, Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport
gmonsen

Postby zheka130 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:34 am

gmonsen wrote:Although no one has said it, there is very likely something wrong with your bike. Even a relatively new rider and one coming from a cruiser would find the VTR250 a very nice handling bike superior in most or all ways to any small cruiser. The VTR is one of the easiest bikes to drive I have ever ridden. However, I don't think I have ever spent any seat time on a "cruiser", although I did once own a 1979 Honda CB650 Custom, which might be a bit cruiser-like. Maybe a cruiser is so very different that the handling of a regular street/sport bike, like the VTR, seems odd. However, the VTR is so intuitive that I am pretty sure something must be amiss with yours. You'll get it sorted.

Also, I'd stick some K100 gas treatment in the tank as insurance. About an ounce per gallon. You can't take enough preventative measures against the satan-ethanol.

Gordon

Nothing apparent I believe. Perhaps I am just imagining all of this. Got good tips in this thread on what to do though.

Thanks for your help guys

and thanks John!
zheka130

Postby spotthedogg » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:22 am

You would ride it differently than a cruiser, give up on trying to touch peg.
spotthedogg

Postby squirrelman » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:16 pm

Quite sufficient. ;)
squirrelman

Postby zheka130 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:25 pm

ExTex77 wrote:I agree with John. Fully draining the float bowls is better.

Guys, is there a link to a DIY on how to do this?
I've got the service manual, perhaps it's in there. Thought I'd ask here first.
zheka130

Postby John Hilmer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:58 pm

Look at the side of the float bowl near the bottom and you'll see a brass screw head that takes a flat blade driver. Below that is a nipple. connect a drain line to the nipple and turn the screw CCW a couple of turns. When it stops draining, close the screw gently. Don't tighten it much for fear of damaging it.

John
John Hilmer

Previous

Return to VT/VTR General Discussion