Ease of control VTR250 vs other bikes

Anything NOT related to repairs, parts, etc.

Ease of control VTR250 vs other bikes

Postby zheka130 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:15 pm

Guys

Just a thought coming from a new motorcyclist

I did my safety course on a Kawasaki Eliminator 125,
found it extremely easy to maneuver, I even touched the asphalt with the foot peg when doing the slalom on one occasion.

I do not feel as confident on my VTR.

Could it be because it is a sport bike ?
I found I always felt more comfortable on cruisers (I've ridden a couple briefly)
zheka130

Re: Ease of control VTR250 vs other bikes

Postby John Hilmer » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:16 pm

Zheka,

How long have been riding the VTR?

Switching from an up-right or cruiser to a sport bike will take a bit of getting used to especially for a newer rider.

As you gain time on the bike it will become a non-issue, or so it has been for those that I know that have done the same thing.

I suggest that you check a few things to make sure that the bike is handling properly.

Check the steering head bearings to make sure that they are not in need of replacement.

Check the wheel bearing for the same thing.

Check the tire condition and age. Please report on what you find. This is a major factor that often doesn't get checked properly. I had a new set Of Dunlop 404's on a "New-to-me" machine that were so bad I wouldn't even give them away. Also check the tire pressure. I've found that running the tire pressure about 4 pounds over the factory specifications yields better life and handling for me but I weigh almost 190 pounds. If you are lighter less might be better. Play with the tire pressure in two pound increments to find what suits you best.

The last thing to cover the basics is to verify that the rear wheel is running straight with the frame and that both wheels do not have any "RUN-OUT" meaning they are round and have no side to side wobble.

If all the above is good, just get more saddle time and I'll wager that you'll get to love the bike and start cursing others forms.

My last thought is that it might be good to let us know where you are located. There may be another member close that could help by checking out your machine to see if all is normal. The bike I mentioned above was one that I knew little about other than research before I bought it. Until I rode with someone that was familiar with it I had no clue that the steering head bearings were toast or that the collector in the exhaust system was faulty.

If you need help with testing/inspecting any of the above please ask us here and we'll guide you through them.

One last though, ok this is the second last thought, is to ask if the throttle response is smooth. This can also cause troubles with being comfortable. Let us know please.

John
Lord help me to be the man my Labrador thought I was.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood ...
John Hilmer

Postby zheka130 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:45 am

John

Thanks for the detailed response.
I am in Toronto, Canada, thus riding has stopped for the season here (it's around -2 C now)

Perhaps you could give me a link or directions regarding this

"Check the steering head bearings to make sure that they are not in need of replacement."
zheka130

Postby ExTex77 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:42 am

It is probably a lot easier to to touch foot pegs on a cruiser than on a sports bike, so I would not consider that an important criterium.
You may be leaning in corners more and still not dragging any bike parts. I have not touched down a peg on my VTR250 but have many times on some other bikes.

Enjoy your winter off and have a safe warm weather riding season,
ExTex
1989 Honda VTR250 & 1988 Honda NT650
Wife rides a Burgman 200 scooter and I enjoy riding it also
ExTex77

Postby zheka130 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:16 am

ExTex77 wrote:It is probably a lot easier to to touch foot pegs on a cruiser than on a sports bike, so I would not consider that an important criterium.
You may be leaning in corners more and still not dragging any bike parts. I have not touched down a peg on my VTR250 but have many times on some other bikes.

Enjoy your winter off and have a safe warm weather riding season,

You may be right. Bike feels very good in general. However, I am new to motorcycling, thus my words arent worth much.

Unfortunately I found only one other guy on the Toronto forums that has a VTR250. I think it is somewhat modified now. They are very rare, it seems.
zheka130

Postby John Hilmer » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:39 pm

Zheka,

To check the steering head bearings it is necessary to lift the front of the bike so there is no weight on the front tire. Then try to move the front forks forward and back to see if there is any play in the bearings. Also turn the handle bars from side to side and feel if there is any notch feeling as it passes through the straight forward position. If either occur the bearings need to be replaced.

John
Lord help me to be the man my Labrador thought I was.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood ...
John Hilmer

Postby squirrelman » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:41 pm

Hello, zheka !

I'm just across the border here in Buffalo, have a nice shop, and would be eager to work on your VTR free or very cheap or supply any other bike help you might need. ;)

Toronto is one of the world's greatest cities.......too bad about the damn traffic ! I do some of my summer riding in Ontario and love the country.

IMG_0786.jpg

f9d2 jpg.JPG

For winter storage, remove the battery, store it indoors, and charge it once a month. Also, it's important to drain fuel from the float bowls so it doesn't clog the carb jets. :?
squirrelman

Postby spotthedogg » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:56 pm

The pegs are quite high on the VTR, if you grind them you've probably fallen off :lol:

spotthedogg

Postby zheka130 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:54 am

John Hilmer wrote:Zheka,

To check the steering head bearings it is necessary to lift the front of the bike so there is no weight on the front tire. Then try to move the front forks forward and back to see if there is any play in the bearings. Also turn the handle bars from side to side and feel if there is any notch feeling as it passes through the straight forward position. If either occur the bearings need to be replaced.

John

Thanks John, will work in this and few other things this winter. Need some bike stands first.
zheka130

Postby zheka130 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:55 am

squirrelman wrote:Hello, zheka !

I'm just across the border here in Buffalo, have a nice shop, and would be eager to work on your VTR free or very cheap or supply any other bike help you might need. ;)

Toronto is one of the world's greatest cities.......too bad about the damn traffic ! I do some of my summer riding in Ontario and love the country.

For winter storage, remove the battery, store it indoors, and charge it once a month. Also, it's important to drain fuel from the float bowls so it doesn't clog the carb jets. :?

Thanks bud :)

as for winter storage, I turned the fuel off and let the bike run until it died, thus no fuel in the carburetor. Is that sufficient?
zheka130

Next

Return to VT/VTR General Discussion