today`s. commute

Anything NOT related to repairs, parts, etc.

today`s. commute

Postby killamokilla » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:26 pm

Riding to. Work today... it felf like the wind almost pushed me in to a occupied Lane on the highway,. Was really. Intense for me.....
killamokilla

Re: today`s. commute

Postby ExTex77 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:20 pm

Wind Gusts can be a problem with a motorcycle as light as these.
And it is not always possible to guess which direction the strong gusts will come from.
Riding in the center of your lane and keeping a soft hand on the handlebars is the best to do.
A tight hold on the handlebars just causes overreaction to the effect of the gusts.
And a tight grip also lead to a tense body which also yields overreaction and tiredness.

Ride Safely & Have fun,
ExTex
1989 Honda VTR250 & 1988 Honda NT650
Wife rides a Burgman 200 scooter and I enjoy riding it also
ExTex77

Postby John Hilmer » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:21 pm

Pat & All,

That reply is spot on Pat, though I'll add to it.

There is another aspect to consider which is related to the exposed area of the bike and rider, the wind velocity and the mass of the combination.

OK engineering talk aside, if you are small. on a small machine with a normal side profile, with a small weight the effects of cross winds will be significant. Change any of these attributes and the effect will follow. If the bike is light with a small profile and the same rider is on this machine the effect will be less. Increase the wind velocity and the effect is going to resemble the first case.

I experienced a great demonstration of this years ago while riding my '76 Gold Wing with a Vetter fairing, trunk and bags. Riding our highway 80 West into the normal on shore wind towards the San Francisco bay. Behind the fairing and wind shield I knew I was pushing into a significant wind even with the wife behind me it wasn't much of a problem.

Then, I turned left to head South toward home. I had to drop my speed because this heavy cross wind forced me into a varying lean angle of near 20º or more just to go straight. Cars were struggling to stay in one lane. The effect became less effective as I progressed into the mountain shadowed area.

I'll also say that the effect of passing or being passed by vehicles that push a lot of air in front of them need careful consideration as this happens. I've been blown almost out of my lane in this way. Disaster could be close in this situation.

I suppose that we might think that the VTR 250 shouldn't react to the side wind effect because it is "SMALL".

Small is related to weight and the area that the bike and YOU present to the wind effects.

With the full fairing set the VTR 250 isn't a SMALL profile to a cross wind for its weight. Just look at the images here and tell me where is a cross wind going to pass through. Then add the exposed cross section of your body above the saddle at a higher level from the tire's contact patch and consider what that effect might have. This is the most significant of the areas of concern. The bending moment from that height from the contact patch is huge by comparison to the bike alone.

Yes, you can lay on the tank to reduce the effect and slide your butt back on the seat, though this doesn't make as much of a change as we hope for or expect.

All of the above is offered as something to consider, not truth. Read it, consider what I typed, and use it as you see fit.

If you crash and blame me because of this post you are a lame duck.

I do hunt ducks so I might get lucky.

John
Lord help me to be the man my Labrador thought I was.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood ...
John Hilmer

Postby squirrelman » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:22 pm

^^^ EXCELLENT ADVICE !
squirrelman

Postby boomtank » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:22 am

I know this is an old post, but when I did a search for cross winds this was actually the only thing that came up. I figured there would be more ;) Anyway, as I am 5'9" at 160, these mid-west spring time wind gusts can be very strong. Sometimes I can be leaning into the wind upwards of 30+°, with my weight shifted back, and a leg out for more drag. Even with all that I've been pushed halfway across my lane. A few times it felt like the bike lifted off the ground. That's a scary situation at any speed.

So with that said I'd thought I'd share some things. A light grip is definitely a must. Tired hands and arms make for a bad ride. With light steady winds a leg out for drag on the wind side usually sets me straight. Stiffer side winds sometimes require a shift in weight to the rear and a slight lean into the wind. Strong winds require me to lean hard and letting off the throttle a bit. And for those really strong gusts, well, it's a matter of everything above-mentioned in a combination that works for you.

There are some tricks that tend to help in these situations. Tucking behind a big truck close enough for it to block the wind works good but is dangerous as you can't see. And if you get into its air flow the buffering effects can be devistatingly tiring. Large to mid sized trucks work good also and you can still see what the traffic is doing, yet still a danger factor still exists.
Always try to stay in the wind side center of the lane. Ex..if the wind is coming from the left stay left of center of the lane, if the wind is gusting from the right stay right of center, and try to use the things I mentioned. The best thing to do is take a slower speed route or wait for another day to ride.
Keep the rubber side down out there ;)
Speed never hurt anyone. It's the sudden stop at the end that does :o

1988 Honda VTR250 interceptor
(aka the bottle rocket)
boomtank

Return to VT/VTR General Discussion