Old VTR owner just checking in

Anything NOT related to repairs, parts, etc.

Re: Old VTR owner just checking in

Postby justusdude » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:02 pm

While I'm banging my head against the wall dealing with these carburetors... any leads on a japanese spec tail-light :lol:
justusdude

Postby squidshady » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:19 pm

In a related vein I just bought a new helmet I don't need for an old bike I never ride...

Got some gold for the Grom in today too
squidshady

Postby Spoot5 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:30 pm

Thanks for checking in, LDH!!
Nice to see your pampering your VTR. I love the Grom - I need one of those! lol

I started with this:

and got to this:

this was my last dyno with the 120 mains + LDH airbox mod:
(I am now on 122 mains, much better!)

and, I think I am the only person in the entire world with a custom made, 1-off Penske Racing shock for a std VTR250.
'90 VTR250 Interceptor / '98 VF750F Magna / '98 VTR1000F / '08 Ridgeline / Honda Racing Bicycle
CCS Mid-West #518 Am
Spoot5

Postby justusdude » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:11 pm

New rider here, what's the benefit of replacing the rear shock?
justusdude

Postby squidshady » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:12 pm

Very nice Spoot!

Almost done with the Grom... Ohlins, Spiegler Lines, Brembo M/C, Woodcraft Rear Sets, Dynojet PCV, M4 Exhaust. It feel like a real race build at this point
squidshady

Postby Spoot5 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:04 pm

justusdude wrote:New rider here, what's the benefit of replacing the rear shock?

Basic OEM rear shocks should be serviced throughout their life.
You should also get a different spring according to your body weight & riding style.

Doing these things will help keep the rear tire in contact with the ground, in a more consistent basis. Giving better traction and more confident riding.

When a bike gets older, getting the shock serviced might not be an option. Getting different springs might get tougher.
Replacing the shock can get you either a newer shock (that can be serviced\rebuilt) and sprung for you or a brand new replacement.

Replacing with an Ohlins or Penske is more of a racing thing, but sometimes there is no other option to get a newer shock....like in our VTR's.
A replacement shock can also give you more adjustability options...compression, rebound, ride height, valving & springs.

Most of this also applies to the forks, but mostly to the internals rather than swapping them out.
'90 VTR250 Interceptor / '98 VF750F Magna / '98 VTR1000F / '08 Ridgeline / Honda Racing Bicycle
CCS Mid-West #518 Am
Spoot5

Postby justusdude » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:08 pm

I've rebuilt the front forks since I got my bike earlier this year but set them up according to the service manual so I'm sure its not quite right for me... I guess I need to read up on how to get those set up right. And I assume my rear shock hasn't been serviced in many years based on the condition I got the bike in...

I'm sure new parts for the shock don't exist any more, are bike shops able to rebuild a shock without new parts? If so would it be cheaper to just get a new one vs having this old one serviced? How do I know what shock will fit? Is that Ohlins squidshady uses made for this bike? Lot of questions sorry but suspension is probably the thing I know the least about besides the innermost workings of the engine itself.
justusdude

Postby Spoot5 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:56 pm

@justusdud
here are some fork components avail. I did the springs & the gold emulators...but, I am racing my VTR.
go here to find the spring rate you would need for the forks (click on "calculate spring rates...) at the top to find proper spring.
http://www.racetech.com/ProductSearch/1 ... 50/1988-90

There are a few other brands out there, too.

The shock probably cant be serviced at this point.
CCS Mid-West #518 Am
Spoot5

Previous

Return to VT/VTR General Discussion