In storage for 10 + years - what steps to get her running?

Anything NOT related to repairs, parts, etc.

Re: In storage for 10 + years - what steps to get her runnin

Postby Spoot5 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:46 pm

looks like 5,817 mi on the ODO.
'90 VTR250 Interceptor / '98 VF750F Magna / '98 VTR1000F / '08 Ridgeline / Honda Racing Bicycle
CCS Mid-West #518 Am
Spoot5

Postby VTR250 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:48 pm

Nice bike mate, and welcome to the forums!

I was in the same kind of boat as you! Except my bike was sitting still for 5 years (and partially dismantald) replace everything liquid. Oil, coolent, brake fluid, ?fork oil?, and anything else you find as you go. Be prepared to clean the carbs, get familiar with syncing carbs. Tip abit of oil in the cylinders before you start it, those cylinder walls will be pretty dry. It doesnt hurt to check valve gaps aswell while the tanks off. Run abit of oil on the cam lobes while ur in there, give it a pre lube. It will probley rattle like f**k when you first start it, dont be alarmed, the cam chain tensioner would have lost pressure.. in saying that, if you start it, rattles like buggery and dies again, check your timing marks before you try start it again, incase a cam has jumped a tooth. I was pretty inexperienced with working on bikes when i started my project and iv learnt alot as i went along. These are great bikes to work on and ride, it will bring you plenty of enjoyment
VTR250

Postby RustyRider » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:09 am

Thank you

5817 miles
RustyRider

Previous

Return to VT/VTR General Discussion