Par for the course.

Here is where all the poorly cared for, abused and neglected, and generally ignored belong. Anything that fits is welcome. (Forum title is credited to Christopher Titus.)

Re: Par for the course.

Postby HerbertFriendly » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:52 pm

When it was found it had the sub frame mods already, and being that it's a 90 with an 88 wheel, I assume somebody bought this to upgrade they're 88 and was just having some fun with it. Sorry the pic sucks it's a screenshot from a video. I'll get on better ones soon!

IMG_6456.PNG
1989 vtr250 street fighter. Found in a field, I'm trying to bring her back to life.
HerbertFriendly

Postby HerbertFriendly » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:30 am

I purchased a cheap screw in tester..

Removed the plugs and gave it a spin. I turned with both plugs out, both plugs in, and one at a time. With both plugs out I had some resistance, more insome spots and almost a free turn in others. Meaning at certain points in the turn the weight of the wrench could turn it and in others it was a little tough. With either plug in, the free falling turn was pretty much gone but I could still turn it pretty easy with just a little more resistance in spots. Both plugs in had the most resistance but it still wasn't too bad as far as turning it over with a wrench. I did hear a slight whishing sound with either plug in, maybe every two-ish rotations (I could also hear the pushing and pulling air from the plug free cylindar), and the wishing noise doubled in frequency when I put both plugs in.
1989 vtr250 street fighter. Found in a field, I'm trying to bring her back to life.
HerbertFriendly

Postby Murdo1 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:38 am

You need to check on your valve clearances too before the compression test. Mine wouldn't start and had less than 50psi when I got it, reset the valves clearances and got 150psi and started first go.
Murdo1

Postby Spoot5 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:30 am

I have a compression tester that had a rubber tip option, so I could just push it into place.
I'm pretty sure I got it at Harbor Freight.

Might be this one:
https://www.harborfreight.com/compressi ... 62638.html
'90 VTR250 Interceptor / '98 VF750F Magna / '98 VTR1000F / '08 Ridgeline / Honda Racing Bicycle
CCS Mid-West #518 Am
Spoot5

Postby HerbertFriendly » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:58 pm

Ohhh!!! Yes!!! My tester has those!!! AWSOME, I'll get on that! Thank you so much! I know that's a lot of exclamation marks!!
HerbertFriendly

Postby HerbertFriendly » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:21 pm

Well.....I used the push in attachment. After removing the radiator to get to the front cylinder, I tested the compression and it read 175 psi almost on the nose. The rear cylinder, although much easier to get to, only read 125psi... which is not great considering the manual spec is close to 190 (188+-28 psi). I was most concerned with the rear cylinder as it shows signs of light rust. The hasn't ran in who knows how long. I read somewhere that you can rub a little oil in the cylinder manually and get a better reading in these situations.
HerbertFriendly

Postby squirrelman » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:35 pm

125 is low but the bike could run OK anyway. oil in cylinders is for checking the valves for a cause of low compression and to answer the question rings or valves.
squirrelman

Previous

Return to Epic Fails