Building my first trackbike, the ongoing saga

Anything to do with racing our 1/4 Liter Interceptor's goes here

Re: Building my first trackbike, the ongoing saga

Postby spotthedogg » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:55 pm

I just bought a set of loaded Spada heads from a wrecker in Australia, they will be shipped direct to Mike Norman at G-Force engine development for porting, flow bench testing and valve job. It's another investment in the old bike but you couldn't ask for anyone better to do the work. With rumours that our 250 and 300 Lightweight classes will be combined next year I'll need a few more ponies :lol:
spotthedogg

Postby John Hilmer » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:47 am

Scott,

If anyone can get an increase in HP from the VTR Mike is "The Mann".

John
Lord help me to be the man my Labrador thought I was.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood ...
John Hilmer

Postby spotthedogg » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:25 pm

John, his built engines have typically been in the 38HP RANGE on pump gas. He says most gains are in the heads but I have already lightened the flywheel by 300gr and put in VF500 +1mm pistons.

Red is race fuel

spotthedogg

Postby spotthedogg » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:23 am

Wow, I see Photobucket no longer allows sharing/embedding without paying them. I see so many threads on forums gone to mud because of it :(

If you would like to see my race photos and bike updates you can check out my Facebook racing page.

https://www.facebook.com/ScottonTrack/
spotthedogg

Postby UK Keith » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:05 am

I use Flickr which still hosts photos without charge.
UK Keith
Donator

Postby YoshiHNS » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:22 am

Any juicy updates? Particularly interested in whether you are getting new valves and springs. They would cross over to the VF500 bikes, and there's definitely a need for replacement valves and springs there.

Also, photobucket is a pile of garbage and has been for some time. Flickr will eventually go the same way. I HIGHLY recommend signing up with Piwigo and hosting there. The interface is a bit spartan, but it's relatively cheap at $40 a year (how much is your netflix/amazon/motogp/ect?), unlimited storage at full resolution, they don't sell your images, hotlinking with control of image size being linked, access administration so only some pictures are public and others need a login to access, unique website address, decent phone app, and easy organization. I've been very happy over the last few years with them. And when I don't feel like paying the $40 a year, I can download everything and host the image server from my home computer using their code, for free.

http://piwigo.org/
1971 Suzuki MT50
1985 VF500C
1989 VTR250
1996 VFR750F stock
1996 VFR750F 'VFR1CATI" Project
1998 VFR800
YoshiHNS

Postby spotthedogg » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:58 am

Thanks Yoshi, I did get some Spada valves from the Netherlands but could not get springs. Upon inspection they look the same as my VT250F2H valves. I am thinking maybe the springs I have in those heads will be better than the VTR units but I don't know.
I had bought a set of Spada 250 heads from a seller, Daniel McGrath in Australia. I shipped them off to Mike Norman at G-Force and he later told me the seller didn't send the cam caps which are line bored and matched to the heads. After 2 months of fighting with the seller I sent them back, ordered the Spada intake valves and sent my 1990 VTR250 heads to Mike. So far just throwing money into the wind and no results :evil:
I will be excited to build it back up, will have VF500 +1mm pistons, Spada intake valves and a full valve and port job with flowbench testing by Mike, 300gr removed from the magneto/flywheel etc.
I have the undercut transmission and Factory Pro shift kit to put in as well as a few other fun bits :)
spotthedogg

Postby spotthedogg » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:02 pm

I have been linking Facebook as image location with decent results, not sure if it is time sensitive but shouldn't be.

spotthedogg

Postby the benz master » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:29 pm

it's the camshafts you need from the VT250's. Seen a spec somewhere that they had 10 degree more duration than ours,shifting the peak power a little higher in the reeve range.
the benz master

Postby spotthedogg » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:01 pm

the benz master wrote:it's the camshafts you need from the VT250's. Seen a spec somewhere that they had 10 degree more duration than ours,shifting the peak power a little higher in the reeve range.

I have the cams too, have had for awhile :D
spotthedogg

PreviousNext

Return to Racing Modifications