Fork seal cleaning tool

Any non-standard tool that had to be modified or created to make repairs easier.

Fork seal cleaning tool

Postby John Hilmer » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:57 pm

Folks,

Sometimes it is possible to clean the front fork seals enough to stop a leak. If enough soil builds up on them they weep.

Cut a piece of the milk or water jug where the radius is similar to that of the fork tube like below.

Insert this into the forks and rotate it around the tube a couple of times. While it won't cure a torn seal, if it is just a build up of soil it may restore the function.

Quick, easy and cheap, and best of all effective when soil is the problem.

John
Lord help me to be the man my Labrador thought I was.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood ...
John Hilmer

Re: Fork seal cleaning tool

Postby John Hilmer » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:31 am

Folks,

The soil you see on the plastic came from one of the forks on the VF 500 F. It had developed a weeping leak, actually both of them had. I cleaned both in this way and put on about 40 miles and returned home dry, so it worked on this one.

John
Lord help me to be the man my Labrador thought I was.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood ...
John Hilmer

Postby Sir Real Ed » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:14 pm

John Hilmer wrote:Folks,

Sometimes it is possible to clean the front fork seals enough to stop a leak. If enough soil builds up on them they weep.

Cut a piece of the milk or water jug where the radius is similar to that of the fork tube like below.

Insert this into the forks and rotate it around the tube a couple of times. While it won't cure a torn seal, if it is just a build up of soil it may restore the function.

Quick, easy and cheap, and best of all effective when soil is the problem.

John

Nice application of a plastic bottle. Back in the old days we used 35 mm film, I have also used a .0015" feeler gage. Someone makes a little bit of plastic and actually sells it as a tool, but the company escapes me at the moment.
Sir Real Ed

Postby ManySkarz » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:46 pm

That little piece of plastic is called Seal Mate and comes from Motion Pro.
I see angels on ariels in leather and chrome coming down from heaven to carry me home
ManySkarz

Postby XRayHound » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:13 pm

As long as we're on the topic of fork seals and improvised tools, I installed new seals in my project '04 R6's forks with an old shop vac extension tube recently :) Twist on the old PVC pipe trick for that, but it was free because it was amongst my hoarder's junk.
XRayHound

Return to Modified/Created Tools