Alternative Brake Master Cylinders

Parts that either fit a VTR 1 to 1 or can be easily modified to work.

Alternative Brake Master Cylinders

Postby kirk_dunkirk » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:29 am

Hi all,

Started fixing up the engine and have found all sorts of other stuff that needs to be done.

Am now thinking of replacing the front brake master cylinder / lever etc on my 1988.
Not this item exactly but something along these lines:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CX500-CB7 ... Ze&vxp=mtr

or this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydraulic-Brake ... Mv&vxp=mtr

What size is the handlebar? 16mm? 7/8"?

When I search for things on ebay, 7/8" items and 5/8" items both claim to fit.

Both mm and inch please, easier to locate items.

Thanks!
kirk_dunkirk

Re: Alternative Brake Master Cylinders

Postby John Hilmer » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:51 am

The bars are 7/8" = 22.225 mm.

John
Lord help me to be the man my Labrador thought I was.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood ...
John Hilmer

Postby kirk_dunkirk » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:10 pm

Thanks!
kirk_dunkirk

Postby kirk_dunkirk » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:45 am

Another thing - the first ebay example I posted above, the chrome one, has the brake line port on the front of the master cylinder, facing the front of the bike, rather than on the left side of the cylinder, facing the rider's left.

It seems like the brake hose would be long enough, but in a situation like that is there any other problem, for example the twist it would place in the hose could cause problems?

Then again, there isn't a lot of extra give in the current brake hose. Even the extra 1cm it might take to hook up could be too long. But I'd rather not replace the hose, thi$ re$tore i$ already adding up.
kirk_dunkirk

Postby JacobAllison » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:30 am

Honestly, I'd consider replacing the hose long before I'd consider replacing the master cylinder if it isn't totally destroyed. If it is, you should replace the hose at the same time. A stainless-steel-mesh hose only costs about $40 and you can get it in exactly the right length and angled fittings you want. If you want that 'stock' look, you can get them in solid black.
JacobAllison

Postby kirk_dunkirk » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:18 pm

Good advice. Thanks. I'm here to learn.

Was not happy about the thought of replacing MC, but the piston seems stuck in there, I'm having a hard time trying to get it out. Brake hose, even the mirror won't come off. Have been applying wd40 and persuasion for several days, so I'm working with the MC still on the bars. Kind of cramped. Have tapped the piston with a socket extension, there is no give.

I noticed the rebuild kits weren't cheap, and I wondered about the quality. I could keep the stock MC but if I put some junk parts inside it, well, maybe not so different from Chinese MC. Plus a new MC set just bolts on.

But I have taken heed of your advice and will not give up on the stock MC yet.

Current rubber bakes lines seem in really good shape, would like to keep them. I've heard mixed things from bike buddies who say the steel lines provide a different all-or-nothing feel that some people don't like -- but I don't know much about it either way.
kirk_dunkirk

Postby ExTex77 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:10 pm

You can get a genuine Honda rebuild kit for $28.50 + $6.50 shipping.
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-45530-471-831.html

ride safely
ExTex
1989 Honda VTR250 & 2015 Honda CB500FA
Wife rides a Burgman 200 scooter and I enjoy riding it also
ExTex77

Postby JacobAllison » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:59 pm

WD-40 might not be the best choice. Try yourself some good Liquid Wrench or other dedicated penetrating oil. It will do a better job of wicking into the threads than WD-40.
JacobAllison

Postby spotthedogg » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:08 am

You will only feel the difference of the stainless steel brake line under threshold braking or very hard braking. The added performance of the stainless steel brake line is welcome in my opinion.
spotthedogg

Postby Spoot5 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:51 pm

Similar brake masters should be ok as long as donor bike has a single disc & 2 piston caliper.
That's a general statement as some calipers have big pistons inside vs smaller ones.

The master is usually stamped with a number. This is the mm or the " (inch) size of the master cylinder.
I'm not sure what the OE master is for the VTR, it might be a 14mm or 16mm?

If you go with a bigger number, this means the piston inside the master is bigger in diameter.
A bigger diameter piston (in the master) usually equates to less travel of the brake lever in order to move the same amount of fluid to apply the brakes.
This makes the lever travel less and 'feel' stronger when applying the brakes.
A bigger piston makes the brake lever have less 'modulation' room. (You can't squeeze as far to the bar).

A smaller piston, will travel further and have more modulation room.
--------

If you got a master from a an R1 or ZX10 or CBR1000, the lever would only move 1 micron and it would activate the vtr caliper at full strength.
These newer masters are designed to move a lot of fluid (dual discs with dual calipers that have 4 or 6 pistons in each).

-------

Hope that makes some sense.
:/
Spoot5

Next

Return to Non-Standard Parts