CBR F2 parts on VTR?

Parts that either fit a VTR 1 to 1 or can be easily modified to work.

Re: CBR F2 parts on VTR?

Postby spotthedogg » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:50 am

Again issues are more weight in the fork and wheel and brakes. Making the rear geometry match the new tire size
spotthedogg

Postby XRayHound » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:11 pm

the benz master wrote:if you want the best bang for your money, used 2003-2004 600rr forks go for dirt cheap because they are not inverted... but i bet they would perform pretty good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-Honda-CBR ... 27&vxp=mtr

That's a good idea. *stamp of approval*
XRayHound

Postby Yamahawk » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:30 pm

spotthedogg wrote:Again issues are more weight in the fork and wheel and brakes. Making the rear geometry match the new tire size

Yeah, it's a 3.50 rim… which would then need a wider rear rim, perhaps a 5"… although if you find a 3.50 for the rear, they would match! The 1990 rear rim is 3.00 so, it would not handle too well with the front being 1/2" wider… that is why I went with the CBR600F1 Hurricane front end and wheel, not that much heavier than the original 1989 front end, and got dual disks out of the deal. Looking at front wheels for the CBR600RR (03-08) they are a little pricey, ($350) and that is without rotors… so the $600 cartridge conversion looks a little more affordable… hehe.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son,that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have Eternal Life.John 3:16
For God didn't send His Son to the world to condemn the world, but through Him world might be saved .John 3:17
Yamahawk

Postby spotthedogg » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:22 pm

I really think if you want the best front end (easy) get a 1990 VTR front with JDMr cartridge inserts and a Brembo RCS15 master cylinder/Goodrich SS line/HH pads, boom!
Second best maybe a Ninja or CBR250R 37mm fork with the same upgrades.
Third Hurricane 600 but this is where you start adding unwanted weight, geometry at least is easy.
After this it starts getting complicated, is it going to clear the fairings or the tank? What kind of bars will work? Do I just try running a single rotor, if so what master cylinder will I pick. Etc.
spotthedogg

Postby the benz master » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:11 pm

The theoretical best set-up would be having the same rim size front and back. But for practical reasons it is rarely done (putting power to the ground needs a larger rubber and having a rubber that large at the front would be too heavy)

And going from a 100-80-17 to a 110-70-17 or 120-60-17 wouldn't change anything on rear suspension geometry... same overall tire diameter.

As for the weight issue, i doubt it... the huge ZX10R forks with larger wheel and larger and thicker rotors (which came from a Z1000 and are not lightened like the real ZX10 ones are) weights 3 pounds heavier than my CBR250RR front end... I would actually save a pound from that swap if i ditched one caliper/rotor and used the one lighter zx10 rotor... the MC22 is about 100lbs lighter and has 1/4 of the HP than the ZX10... it would most likely be a perfect match.

You could most likely use only one disc on the 600RR wheel and end up at +- the same weight than the VTR forks.

you could also use the F2 wheel with the 600rr forks to keep the cost down and having a matching pair of wheels. One of the irish lads on the CBR forum used his original CBR 250 wheel with CBR929 front forks. he had to use CBR600 rotors to match with the calipers tho.

P.S. The 1990 VTR fork with a brembo 4 pot caliper has absolutely unbeliveable crazy sick agressive stopping power !! Everybody who tries that bike are like "WOW!! brakes are awesome"
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150249841770136&l=9316f1da1e
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150249846135136&l=5a066f3ee0
the benz master

Postby spotthedogg » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:28 am

I thought you stated earlier that swap added 6lbs, I assume all of the added weight is un-sprung?

I push my VTR on the racetrack and I find no weakness for the speed I am able to carry. More complex & externally adjustable damping would be nice but the speed doesn't require stronger forks under braking nor do I need to control more weight transfer of a heavier bike in turning. Looks cool I'm sure.
spotthedogg

Postby squirrelman » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:33 pm

spotthedogg wrote: I push my VTR on the racetrack and I find no weakness for the speed I am able to carry. More complex & externally adjustable damping would be nice but the speed doesn't require stronger forks under braking nor do I need to control more weight transfer of a heavier bike in turning. Looks cool I'm sure.

Thanks for the insight !! Now we can rest assured that no one installs beefier forks on a VTR for any purpose other than "style". Or because it's faddish. :ugeek:
squirrelman

Postby Yamahawk » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:57 am

Ray,
FYI the original 1989 front end is 6 lb. heavier than the 1990 front end with its single disk. If you look at the F2 front, it may end up being comparable in weight to the original front end. The following is from Steve, who swapped the forks on a 1989 VTR250 to a 1990 VTR250, and weighed them.

Well, its all done. i would post pics but the system wont let me. the swap was pretty straight forward but my wife likes the teal on the fender so i wanted to keep it.
I was able to use my original 89 front fender set up by fabricating some brackets I rivetted to the fender.
The original brake line works fine but you need to flip it 180 deg and straighten the bend on the caliper side abit (check the lines on the hose to make sure you dont twist it)
and finally the weight difference is... drumroll please... approxamately 6 lbs
the weights are 90 FE=36.6 89 FE=42.4 with no fliud in the forks.
The normal disk brake feels much more responsive so far but fresh fluid and a good bleed would have probably helped the IB disk as well.
If i can figure out whats going on with pics I'll post them
Steve
For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son,that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have Eternal Life.John 3:16
For God didn't send His Son to the world to condemn the world, but through Him world might be saved .John 3:17
Yamahawk

Postby spotthedogg » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:25 pm

squirrelman wrote:
spotthedogg wrote: I push my VTR on the racetrack and I find no weakness for the speed I am able to carry. More complex & externally adjustable damping would be nice but the speed doesn't require stronger forks under braking nor do I need to control more weight transfer of a heavier bike in turning. Looks cool I'm sure.

Thanks for the insight !! Now we can rest assured that no one installs beefier forks on a VTR for any purpose other than "style". Or because it's faddish. :ugeek:

I assume this is sarcasm, I'm just saying for my time/money/effort I'd sooner spend money elsewhere in my development. Not saying what anyone else should or should not do.
spotthedogg

Postby YoshiHNS » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:45 pm

XRayHound wrote:
the benz master wrote:if you want the best bang for your money, used 2003-2004 600rr forks go for dirt cheap because they are not inverted... but i bet they would perform pretty good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-Honda-CBR ... 27&vxp=mtr

That's a good idea. *stamp of approval*

I bought most of a front end for less. Big problem is finding a wheel for a reasonable amount. So far the wheel is going to cost me as much as the forks, brakes, rotors, and axle. Thinking might be better to sell the forks for something easier to source parts for.
1971 Suzuki MT50
1985 VF500C
1989 VTR250
1996 VFR750F stock
1996 VFR750F 'VFR1CATI" Project
1998 VFR800
YoshiHNS

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Standard Parts