Left side driver foot peg holder

Parts that either fit a VTR 1 to 1 or can be easily modified to work.

Re: Left side driver foot peg holder

Postby John Hilmer » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:09 pm

True,

I would e-mail Chris and ask if he might have one.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1786

I know that he hasn't listed everything he has.

John
Lord help me to be the man my Labrador thought I was.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood ...
John Hilmer

Postby truewind » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:45 pm

John, I took your advice, looked around, and got a welder to fix it for $20, but it's ugly and I don't think he did a great job, but it's back together. He was skeptical about putting much weight on it - hopefully it will hold up, but I'll see if I can contact Chris. I would rather not have my foot suddenly stomp to the ground while riding.

But now I have another issue.

When I started the bike today, the front cylinder was making a tapping, rattling sound. Riding home after the crash, I thought it might have been making a weird noise, but I was angry and in a little bit of pain and just wanted to get home. Listening to it today, I wondered if when I crashed, I shook the valves out of adjustment. However, I now have a bigger problem - the engine is leaking oil when it's running. It didn't leak where I crashed, I didn't notice it leaking riding home, and it didn't leak while sitting in the garage for the past few weeks.

I'll get some light on it tomorrow and see what I can find.
Last edited by truewind on Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
truewind

Postby truewind » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:00 pm

John, I just tried to go to the link you provided, but got this instead:

Server Error

404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Any other way?

Thanks.
truewind

Postby John Hilmer » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:02 pm

True,

Chris ran out of time because he is forced to move to the other coast quite soon and has to clean up the rental place he has been in.

He has pulled the plug on offering parts because he just is out of time.

Sorry, but this is the reality for him.

John
John Hilmer

Postby squirrelman » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:49 pm

Did the engine continue to run while it was on the side ? (Some do) Going down didn't mess with any valve adjustment unless the cam cover was dented, so tapping could be due to failing cam chain tensioner or somethin worse. :roll:
squirrelman

Postby truewind » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:46 am

The engine ran for a few seconds while the bike was down before I turned it off. I didn't think anything was dented or damaged, other than the peg holder, turn signals, mirror, clutch handle, the bits that stick out. The engine and frame seemed fine, protected by my leg slider, that's why I was surprised when oil started leaking today.

Any idea what could be making a clacking noise around the front cylinder head?

The oil leak is from somewhere near the upper part of the left side crankcase cover.

Thanks.
truewind

Postby squirrelman » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:25 pm

Probably best to remove front valve cover (after removing the radiator) to measure valve clearances and check. One reason for tapping could be a loose main or conrod bearing........damaged while bike ran on its side with no oil pressure. :o Hope not ! How many miles on your VTR ?? :?
squirrelman

Postby truewind » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:49 pm

25,000 miles on the bike. It didn't run more than a few seconds when on its side. What would be involved with a loose main or conrod bearing? Is taking the engine out and cracking it open the only way to fix it? Thanks.
truewind

Postby John Hilmer » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:55 am

True,

You are going to have to open the front valve cover and check the valve clearances and also check to see if the cam chain tensioner is functioning. These are the first things to check.

If the above is as it should be then we can start to consider other possible sources of the noise you have developed. While you are at it you might just as well check the rear valve lash and the tensioner as well.

After you check and set the valve lash you can run the engine with the covers off. This may show you if the cam chain tensioners are working or if perhaps one might have jumped off the follower arm, though this seems unlikely to me.

Following this if the noise persists you will have to try to get a better fix on where the noise is coming from.

Let us know what you find and we can move on from there.

John
John Hilmer

Postby truewind » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:44 pm

Thank you. Maybe I should make a new post titled "Heads, Valves, and Related."
truewind

Previous

Return to Non-Standard Parts