Left side driver foot peg holder

Parts that either fit a VTR 1 to 1 or can be easily modified to work.

Left side driver foot peg holder

Postby truewind » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:27 pm

Does anyone know if the left side driver foot peg holder from another bike fits on a 1989 VTR250 Interceptor? This thread mentions a new one

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1497&p=5904&hilit=left+foot+peg#p5904

but the new ones I've found online are around $100 (ripoff!) and it seems dealers don't carry them anyway. Ebay has a bunch of right side ones, but for some strange reason, none for the left when I checked.

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-vtr250-inter ... ml#results

One of my sons is in Japan right now, but he is as sick as a dog and returning home in a few days to get back before Christmas, so he doesn't have the time or energy to quickly find parts for me (but I still might see if he can grab some JIS screwdrivers).

As always, any help is appreciated.

Small world story:

I was fooling around in a parking lot in Torrance, CA, not far from AmHoMoCo., and a guy came up to me walking his dog, and he had nothing but praise for VTR 250s. He said it was the best engine Honda ever made. Turns out he was a retired Honda engineer who test rode motorcycles and wrote repair manuals for Honda, including the one for our beloved little VTR 250.
truewind

Re: Left side driver foot peg holder

Postby spotthedogg » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:27 am

Interesting story, especially considering how hated the VF500 engine seemed.
spotthedogg

Postby John Hilmer » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:42 pm

True,

Just a word of caution, CMSNL 's exploded view shows that you need item 11 not 1, and they are out of stock.

Do you have a salvage yard near by?

John
Lord help me to be the man my Labrador thought I was.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood ...
John Hilmer

Postby truewind » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:44 pm

Thanks John. There is a yard near enough, but he doesn't have one. In the past when I've asked and he didn't have the part, he would call me back and say he can get it, then quote a price higher than I found online. He's probably searching the same places I am, or calling some junkyard network, and marking up. There's a couple of nonrunners locally on sale for $500 and $200, which I wouldn't mind getting, but I don't have the space. I'm thinking now of going to a welder or muffler shop, or just anyplace that might have a welder, and seeing how much they would charge to fix it.
truewind

Postby truewind » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:13 pm

I looked into the hated VF500 engine. It seemed perception was worse than reality, and what little might have been wrong was sorted by '86. Our bikes started in '88, so maybe they are pretty good. I like to think so.

I would like to try one of the new VTR250s. It appears ours have a slightly sharper rake

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_VTR250

but even so, the new VTR250s corner impressively

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8At6POs_ZM

I was practicing when I managed to break the foot peg. Short, fast turns are difficult, uncomfortable, and hard to control with clip-ons, at least or me.
truewind

Postby spotthedogg » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:49 am

Our bikes are fantastic :)
spotthedogg

Postby truewind » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:12 pm

I went by Verne Sweeney's Muffler shop in Torrance to see if he could weld the foot peg holder, but it's aluminum, and he doesn't have the TIG equipment. So I went by Drake Race Car Development and, surprisingly, he said he would do it for only $20, but he doesn't recommend it and makes no guarantees. There's a big ALCOA complex around here too, but I doubt they would be of any help on a small thing like this. I'm getting stumped. I wonder if I can just get a piece of steel and drill three holes in it at the right spots for the two bolts and a peg. Anyone done that?
truewind

Postby John Hilmer » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:21 pm

True,

Well, if you can't wind an actual WELDING shop willing to fix it AND you don't mind the time it would take, you can send it to me and I'll get it fixed/welded/dressed to look good.

No, it won't look factory fresh, but it would be solid and you could stand on it with confidence. It wouldn't be ugly, just not looking like a factory finish.

PM me if you want to have me get it fixed for you and I'll supply a ship to Addy.

You cover the shipping cost and slip me $10.00 and we are good. I'm in the 95066 area code.

John
Lord help me to be the man my Labrador thought I was.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood ...
John Hilmer

Postby truewind » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:11 am

Thank you, John. I might take up on that. It's odd how there are plenty of right sides available, but no left sides.
truewind

Postby ExTex77 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:51 am

I expect that most bike drops and accidents are on the left side. That would tend to use up clutch levers, turn signals as well as foot pegs.
The shift lever seems to be better protected than the rest.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
ExTex
1989 Honda VTR250 & 2015 Honda CB500FA
Wife rides a Burgman 200 scooter and I enjoy riding it also
ExTex77

Next

Return to Non-Standard Parts