Replacement mirrors & foam overgrips

Parts that either fit a VTR 1 to 1 or can be easily modified to work.

Replacement mirrors & foam overgrips

Postby Tom Duncan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:26 pm

I found these mirrors at Cycle Gear for $20 the pair and added tiny convex mirrors to the corners. While not exactly the same shape/size/height as the originals they are very close, don't have road rash on them (yet) and work fine. I wish they were slightly convex (like the originals) rather than flat but they work. Also I added slip-on foam grips to the fairly worn ones the bike came with, the larger diameter makes blipping the throttle for downshifts easier/more accurate and overall they are less of a pain to lean on than the hard rubber ones that are now under the foam. They just slip over the grips on the bike (lube with Windex beforehand), much easier than replacing the whole grip.

The bar ends are stock but I polished them as they were scuffed from a couple of downs anyway.

Along with the $30 set of shorty adjustable levers I have a total of $64 in a significant improvement in the communication tools on the bike.

Link to "Trackside Mirrors Long Stem" : http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Acce ... /37910_315 . I think I have seen these sold under the EMGO brand as well. Don't be concerned with the one negative review of these mirrors, obviously they are designed and built to hold position above 55mph (mine do), he got a bad one. Big deal, at that price you are bound to get a lemon once in a while, take it back and exchange it. Jeez.

Foam over-grips are "Grab-On" brand, labeled " 5" grip covers fits 1.250"-1.450" OD ", cost $14 at my local shop, I have seen them on the internet for less. They have different sizes, website: http://www.grabongrips.com/

Tom
Attachments
IMG_1708.JPG
Last edited by Tom Duncan on Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Duncan

Re: Replacement mirrors & foam overgrips

Postby Bronco638 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:32 am

Can you see past your shoulders with them? I had to add home-made 2" 'extenders' to my mirrors to solve that issue.
2002 Honda XR250R
2002 Honda Reflex
1993 Aprilia 280R Climber
Bronco638

Re: Replacement mirrors & foam overgrips

Postby ExTex77 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:28 pm

The mirror extenders also help to move the mirrors so that they don't hit the windscreen when I turn the handlebars sharply.

Ride Safely,

Say Thanks to a Veteran today.
ExTex
1989 Honda VTR250 & 2015 Honda CB500FA
Wife rides a Burgman 200 scooter and I enjoy riding it also
ExTex77

Return to Non-Standard Parts