Updated controls and levers

Want to make a change that's not just a fix or direct replacement...

Updated controls and levers

Postby boomtank » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:12 pm

Well I finally got all the pieces together and put them on. New levers, clip-ons, bars, grips, braided lines, and added a hydraulic clutch :mrgreen:
Took me all day as I miscalculated the line length by a few extra inches. But, with a bit of rerouting and finangling I got it done.
Only real issue is the throw for the clutch may be a bit short. Some minor adjustments or a bigger slave cylinder may be needed there.
Now for some before and after pics. 8-)
IMG_20190601_143537752_HDR.jpg
Before A

IMG_20190601_143527908_HDR.jpg
Before B

IMG_20190603_195838336.jpg
After A

IMG_20190603_201314958.jpg
Clutch slave

IMG_20190603_195844030.jpg
After B
Keep the rubber side down out there ;)
Speed never hurt anyone. It's the sudden stop at the end that does :o

1988 Honda VTR250 interceptor
(aka the bottle rocket)
boomtank

Re: Updated controls and levers

Postby justusdude » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:13 pm

Pretty cool, very different
Can I ask what those mirrors are and where you got them?

FYI though those brake lever locks are kinda silly since they can just cut the brake cable or loosen the bleeder and off they go. Not a ton of options for us besides a chain though since our disc brakes are in the housing and we have a drum in the rear.
justusdude

Postby boomtank » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:23 pm

justusdude wrote:Pretty cool, very different
Can I ask what those mirrors are and where you got them?

FYI though those brake lever locks are kinda silly since they can just cut the brake cable or loosen the bleeder and off they go. Not a ton of options for us besides a chain though since our disc brakes are in the housing and we have a drum in the rear.

Mirrors are from.eBay. Just search for motorcycle signal mirrors.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Turn-Signa ... Sweadc5mNX
Way better than stock 8-)

I think the lever locks are kinda cool. Larger than I wanted, but anything to keep theIves somewhat deterred helps.

(aka the bottle rocket)
boomtank

Postby squirrelman » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:13 pm

why anyone with a simple cable clutch would want the extra weight and complexity of hydraulics is a deep mystery :shock:
Last edited by squirrelman on Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squirrelman

Postby Barbie & Skipper » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:57 am

Tough crowd. Everybody's a critic. :lol:

I like the hydraulic clutch. Do you have more info on it? Kit or mix & match? Source, etc?

I also like the brake lock. On my 90, a Kryptonite disk lock works, but it won't fit my 89. These bikes are light enough that 2-3 guys can just chuck them in a van or pickup if they aren't bolted down, but every little bit helps. Thieves will steal anything, but I can't see there being much demand for 30 year old 250's. Well, unless you are talking about the exotic 4-cylinder bikes. I put a tether on my disk lock after trying to ride away once. :oops: Fortunately, I didn't fall over or damage the bike.

It would be good to hear how the fairings hold up to the mirrors. Do you get good visibility with them?
Barbie - 89 VTR250 - 7k+, back on the road after 3 1/2 year vacation
Skipper - 90 VTR250 - 37k+, black & white, two-part project working 22 years after first parked
Parts bike - 90 VTR250 - 20k+, "maintained" by idiots
Barbie & Skipper

Postby boomtank » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:27 pm

squirrelman wrote:why anyone with a simple cable clutch would want the extra weight and complexity of hydraulics is a deep mystery :shock:

Squirrelman, actually it was fairly simple to set up. The only trouble was the on, off, adjust, and repeat to adjust the slave pin length. As far as weight, I think the entire set up is a bit lighter. But, in the great things of how my world goes, I misplaced the bag of old parts somewhere in the shed...lol. Totals on weight gain/ loss latter.

Barbie & Skipper wrote:Tough crowd. Everybody's a critic. :lol:

I like the hydraulic clutch. Do you have more info on it? Kit or mix & match? Source, etc?

I also like the brake lock. On my 90, a Kryptonite disk lock works, but it won't fit my 89. These bikes are light enough that 2-3 guys can just chuck them in a van or pickup if they aren't bolted down, but every little bit helps. Thieves will steal anything, but I can't see there being much demand for 30 year old 250's. Well, unless you are talking about the exotic 4-cylinder bikes. I put a tether on my disk lock after trying to ride away once. :oops: Fortunately, I didn't fall over or damage the bike.

It would be good to hear how the fairings hold up to the mirrors. Do you get good visibility with them?

No "kits" so to speak. The levers and hydraulics came as a left/right set. All other parts came from various ebay and Ali Express vendors. Color matching was a bit tricky though...lol.
The mounting bolts for the mirrors have about two inches of adjustment total, so the bolts line up with the stock holes on the windscreen. And because of how they're mounted, there's little vibration in them.

(aka the bottle rocket)
boomtank

Postby Janovich » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:04 pm

Those mirrors are freaking cool. Well done job.
Janovich

Postby boomtank » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:32 pm

So I find the bag of the old parts I "lost" in the shed. Somehow they wound up in the kids toy box. :?

Anyway, I didn't weigh each part separately cause I wasn't interested in that. Total weight for the old parts removed was 6 lbs 5 oz. The total weight for all new parts was 4 lbs 4.5 oz. That's a total weight reduction of 2 lbs .5 oz. :ugeek: :mrgreen:

Is there a difference? None that I can feel. Doesn't feel any faster or more easier to pop wheelies. 8-)

Issues? I do have some loss in the range of turning, but only noticeable at full turn. And the trip meter gets reset sometimes, but some fine tuning should aleviate that. Also, there does seem to be a bit more vibes, but that could be just me.....lol

(aka the bottle rocket)
boomtank

Return to Non-Standard Modifications