Attitudes to 250s

The name says it all...

Re: Attitudes to 250s

Postby XRayHound » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:16 am

I almost don't want to read, a Gamma is a learner legal old POS to you but here its a rare and valuable collectible. I almost had one in my hands once but he sprung the price of 3000 bucks on me only after it was found to be a non runner.

Incidentally I was looking at CL tonight and realized how much I want to beat the living crap out people who use the phrase "fast for a 600" 3-(
XRayHound

Postby rashmaster13 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:20 pm

When I purchased my vtr, I was riding it much harder thru corners, to the point where I finally crashed it. I had worn most of the foot off the kickstand pushing harder and harder. To me the little bikes get me in trouble because I feel invincible on it. I was abusing all my friends on 750s and 1ks, just driving off and leaving them. Some of course were majorly pissed as my Barbie bike spanked them. Now it doesn't look like a 250 so some of the thrill is gone. Since I'm a big guy I like riding larger bikes, at times I wish I was small so I could enjoy little bikes more. As is I'm unhappy with most modern sportbikes as they get smaller and smaller physically every year.
rashmaster13

Postby UK Keith » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:35 pm

To me the little bikes get me in trouble because I feel invincible on it

It's the mountain bikes that do that for me and I've got a number of scars and a chin that'll forever feel like a lump of rubber to show for it. They haven't slowed me down though!

That's a nice job you've done of fixing the VTR up after the crash.
UK Keith
Donator

Postby XRayHound » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:26 am

That's where I am. I wrecked my '89 a couple times, but meh, if I'm not burning up every corner I see I'm not riding, I'm just sitting there. Course, hot damn that wreck must have been epic, I've never seen such a thoroughly caved in tank.

You should try on a Ducati 848, they have much more "open" ergos than the Japanese bikes (or the Triumph 675, which has Jap ergos despite being European). They're just built for taller people; I can tuck on a Ducati without my elbows being literally resting on top of my thighs and knees. Or get you a classic 1100 Katana and be the guy who spanks modern literbikes with a 30 year old air cooled monstrosity. :lol:

Also, you should do a build thread. I've wanted to shamelessly copy your bike for years.
XRayHound

Postby rashmaster13 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:28 pm

I bought a zx12 as it is big physically, I'm just waiting for some decals. I'm going to put zx6r on it and lie. When I ride my R1 people always think its a R6.
I wouldn't know how to do a build thread, although I did actually take a few pics building the vtr, nothing in depth, however. I could sum it up for you, however most of it was just making a few brackets out of 1" stock to fit various pieces.
rashmaster13

Postby Phildent » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:05 am

Greeting all, UK Kieth and John etc,
I have just read your thoughts Kieth and agree with you entirely. I was in UK in 70 71 and rode a Triton that I built up myself and was very proud of it, since then I worked on a farm here in West Australia and only rode farm bikes. Now I work part time and treated myself to a VTR 250 1986 model and I wouldn't swap it for anything. My old Triton is like driving a Sherman tank compared to this little beauty. I now ride 30 K's to work there and back along a beautifull windey stretch of road that I almost have to myself, and I love evry minute of it. I wouldn't swap my 250 for anything bigger, it suits me fine.
regards to all......Phil
Phildent

Postby John Hilmer » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:24 am

Phil,

I for one am really tickled that you are now riding one and would love to see a couple of images of your commute route.

John
Lord help me to be the man my Labrador thought I was.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood ...
John Hilmer

Postby Phildent » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:00 pm

HI John and all.
Well John, if you google maps to "Mundaring Wier Road" in west Australia, you will find my route to work each day. It's a great stretch of road with long sweeping bends and some quite sharp corners. Good for me because I just take it easy going to work, but sadly there are too many little white crosses in some of these corners from bike riders who just can't handle the big bikes on sharp corners. I honestly feel that bikes these days are just too powerfull for the roads, and too many inexperienced riders have come unstuck simply because of the power to weight ratio. My little 250 is more than enough to give a few thrills, and light enough to handle.I loved my old bikes in the '70 s, but there is just no comparison to the technology and performance of the bikes these days.Cheers guys,
Phil
Phildent

Postby John Hilmer » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:48 am

Hi Phil,

I got on Google Earth and took a good look at this route. It is well worth the time to explore this.

I'm guessing that the majority of the trees we see are eucalyptus?

From Kalamunda across is about 12 miles or so it appears.

Is there wild life to dodge on this ride?

Thanks for the look-see.

John
Lord help me to be the man my Labrador thought I was.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood ...
John Hilmer

Postby Phildent » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:21 pm

HI John and all,

You are right John, most of the trees are eucalyptus, redgum and Jarrah, and yes there are a lot of Kangaroos that we need to be carefull of, especially in summer. However, what is worse than the wildlife are the redgum trees which at this time of year drop their seeds. These are called Honkey nuts, don't ask me why. ( when I lived in Flushing NY in 68,69 Honkey meant something quite different if I remember righly :D ) Honkey nuts are like small golf balls and they can spread right over the road. Hit some of them going around a corner at speed and you can come unstuck very quickly !!!.
What you probably can't see on Google is that as you near the hairpin bend about 2 miles out of Kalamunda, the road drops quite steeply, and then once around the bend climbs back up. The same applies to the road as you near the big dam, which is Mundaring wier, Perths main water supply. It's quite exciting....
I took a ride from Bussleton back to Perth on the weekend, 230 K's on the 250, and had a great time, sat on 100 - 110 k's all the way and it was a hoot. Sadly I had to do it at night time, so I got seriously bugged...by bugs, and freezing cold by the time I got home, but ...have to say it again, what a great bike...yes the seat was a bit hard..definitely not a cruising bike, but still great fun....
Cheers guys....be safe...
Phildent

PreviousNext

Return to Junk Drawer