New VTR250 owner adjusting carbs

These can be tricky so deserve a place all their own!

New VTR250 owner adjusting carbs

Postby paso996 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:57 pm

Welcome to you all! Picked up a 89 from Hawaii. Carbs full of varnish. Went through with all parts in ultrasonic cleaner and cleared out all jets then rebuilt. Set the floats to Honda manual .27" and is is all wrong. Reset to .43 and now the bike runs great. Check floats before I reinstall on to bike to make sure no leaks. Carbs were dumping raw gas into motor and it was just blowing it out the exhaust. Not much room in this bike to get to the Pilot jets. Especially on the right side. Going to try using very small wrench I made that is basically a cap with short screwdriver. I think I can get into the space using this setup. Anyone try to balance these carbs using a vacuum balance device? I presume I can use the two ports on the intake for this. Will try and let you all know. Also can they make getting to the front spark plug any more difficult? Ended up cross threading spark plug at the start. Used a 10mm x 1 tap with lots of grease on the tap to catch the shavings. Only had to go about a 1/4" deep. All went well and I blew the cylinder out with compressed air. It runs on now but still now sweet. Will try to balance carbs and also set pilot jet. Will let you all know how it comes out.
paso996

Re: New VTR250 owner adjusting carbs

Postby VTR250 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:14 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Carb clean is a good idea. Watch out for the small washer and O-ring, if you remove the pilot adjusting screw (just woke up, can't think of the proper term haha). The o-ring will probably need to go in a particular way again, mine had a curved side and a flat side. Flat side sits against the washer.

Doing a carb sync is easy, I did it for the first time yesterday. Understand how it works though, so you aren't running blind. If you need to set your valve gaps, this needs to be done before a carb sync is completed. I made a jig that makes syncing carbs fairly safe, I'll put a post up in "created tools" with afew photos.

Best of luck, take your time and have fun!
VTR250

Re: New VTR250 owner adjusting carbs

Postby squirrelman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:04 am

fuel into crankcase means float needles need replacement. ;)
squirrelman

Return to Fuel System