Starting over

Show off your skills in turning a basket case into a showroom dream!

Re: Starting over

Postby Barbie & Skipper » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:18 pm

squirrelman wrote:Mostly, carbs are cleaned by hand using wires, toothbrushes, Q-tips, compressed air, etc., not by soaking. Just like the Marines took Iwo Jima in '44, inch-by-inch !

Soaking too long can damage carbs, and after any soak, you must lube the throttle shafts with motor oil or they'll freeze solid eventually.

At times, the nuclear option (soaking) is more appealing. :lol:

I appreciate the comment about lubing the throttle shafts. I forgot to do that with Barbie, either this time or years ago, and that probably was a factor in the frozen butterflies. I'm going to pull her carbs anyway to put in new boots, and to adjust the floats, so I'll get that done as well.
Barbie - 89 VTR250 - 7k+, back on the road after 3 1/2 year vacation
Skipper - 90 VTR250 - 37k+, black & white, two-part project working 22 years after first parked
Parts bike - 90 VTR250 - 20k+, "maintained" by idiots
Barbie & Skipper

Postby Barbie & Skipper » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:55 am

I got Skipper running yesterday, and took her out for a few miles. It was pretty depressing. Worse running/fueling issues than Barbie. Brake light not working. I was fairly discouraged.

My son came over today and we spent the day getting her in shape. I had put new carb boots on her, but had forgotten to tighten the top clamps. It is absolutely amazing the difference that makes. :oops: I am going to order new carb boots for Barbie. I'm beginning to believe that may be the cause of lots of her issues. I tightened all the clamps, but the boots are old and hard.

The second major issue was the petcock. I could not get the vacuum part to work, even with a new rebuild kit. It turns out I had forgotten to transfer the petcock diaphragm connector to the new diaphragms. I had moved the hard disk/spring holder, but left off the part in the picture.
Petcock_diaphragm_connector.jpg
Another :oops: moment.

The carbs sync'd nicely, and exhaust temps were pretty close. Choke works properly. Idles nicely, and pulls smooth and strong to redline. Oddly enough, the front brake doesn't feel quite as strong as Barbie's inboard disk. The fork seals are leaking, so I'll need to address that. We finished re-forming and padding the seat, but still need to get it covered.

In spite of the frustrations and errors, we got her back together, and I went for a short (~15 miles) freeway ride, and she runs beautifully. I'm actually excited to tear Barbie apart once more, and fix the mistakes I realized that I had made while working on Skipper. 8-)

I'd budgeted $500 each to get them back on the road. I'm right at $400 each currently, and it looks like we'll wind up about $450-475 each. Of course, that's counting my time @ $0.
Skipper - 90 VTR250 - 37k+, black & white, two-part project working 22 years after first parked
Barbie & Skipper

Postby ExTex77 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:37 am

Sometimes it is good to have 2 of the same to work on. But it can be depressing when nothing goes right.

Glad you are moving forward with both bikes.

Merry Christmas
ExTex
1989 Honda VTR250 & 1988 Honda NT650
Wife rides a Burgman 200 scooter and I enjoy riding it also
ExTex77

Postby justusdude » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:01 pm

Congrats on getting one up and running! Any tips for getting the carbs mounted into brand new carb boots? I don't know if it was just me but I found it next to impossible so I went back to my old chewed up ones (which don't appear to have any leaks, just pretty worse for wear).
justusdude

Postby squirrelman » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:27 pm

yes, it's usually a bitch getting carbs mounted ! :o

you can try placing boots half-on/half-off the intake holes in order to more closely match the angles.
squirrelman

Postby Barbie & Skipper » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:16 am

justusdude wrote:Congrats on getting one up and running! Any tips for getting the carbs mounted into brand new carb boots? I don't know if it was just me but I found it next to impossible so I went back to my old chewed up ones (which don't appear to have any leaks, just pretty worse for wear).

Make sure that you have the boots right-side-up, and rotated correctly.

Hit them with a shot of silicone spray, on the inside bottom before installing them on the bike, and on the inside top before installing the carbs into the boots. Make sure the boots are fully seated on the engine, then tighten the lower clamps.

After you have the carbs completely assembled, remove the bolt than holds the carbs together. They fuel lines and linkages will keep them as a unit, but the carbs can be installed much easier when you can move them individually.

Once you have the carbs in the boots, check each one repeatedly until both are fully seated. After they are fully seated, you will still need to adjust and align them so that you can install the connecting bolt.

After the bolt is tight, re-check both carbs again to make sure they are fully seated. Tighten the upper clamps.
Barbie & Skipper

Postby justusdude » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:55 am

Thanks! I think my missing step was disconnecting the carbs from each other. I spent a few hours in the summer heat earlier this year trying to mount them and eventually just gave up :x
justusdude

Postby spotthedogg » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:22 pm

justusdude wrote:Thanks! I think my missing step was disconnecting the carbs from each other. I spent a few hours in the summer heat earlier this year trying to mount them and eventually just gave up :x

Don’t separate them!
VT250F2H Track. sARL AM #72
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1415
1989 HAWK GT NT696 Race Bike
https://www.hawkgtforum.com/forum/honda ... t-canadian
spotthedogg

Postby Barbie & Skipper » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:27 pm

spotthedogg wrote:
justusdude wrote:Thanks! I think my missing step was disconnecting the carbs from each other. I spent a few hours in the summer heat earlier this year trying to mount them and eventually just gave up :x

Don’t separate them!

Please explain. The carbs need to be separated during the rebuild process. They need to be temporarily bolted together to do a preliminary butterfly sync, but leaving them bolted together during the installation back into the carb boots just stresses everything unnecessarily. Leaving them bolted together left justusdude with a non-running bike. My experience before installing them loosely joined as described was terrible. Also, I replace the cross-head bolt with a regular hex-head bolt so that I can easily access it with a wrench.

Removing the connecting bolt really make removal and installation much easier.
Barbie & Skipper

Postby squirrelman » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:23 pm

Loosening the connecting bolt will require a carb synch after.
squirrelman

PreviousNext

Return to Rebuilds