Starting over

Show off your skills in turning a basket case into a showroom dream!

Starting over

Postby Barbie & Skipper » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:30 pm

HI, I have an 89 (Barbie) with low miles (6.4k) and a 90 (Skipper) w/ 33k that have both been parked for a few years. Also have a 90 parts bike w/~22k.

I didn't drain the carbs & tank on the 89 when I parked it 3 1/2 years ago, and am paying the price. I've rebuild the carbs, but had to use one of the parts bike carbs, as the butterflies were varnished shut on Barbie. One came loose, but the other didn't.

Also had to rebuild the petcock, but am getting a leak out of the breather vent. The smaller diaphragm seems to be the problem.

Haven't started on Skipper, as I want to get Barbie working first.

Barbie cranks, and is getting fuel to the carbs, but no luck starting yet. I haven't checked compression, and need to figure out how to check spark safely.

Are there any options for replacing the petcocks on the VTR's? All the factory parts seem to be out of production.

Barbie is stock looking, with all original plastic. Skipper was repainted in a black & white theme.

FWIW, an illegal u-turn in front of my SV1000 motivated me to pull Barbie out of storage. Am still dealing with the insurance company. Even though he didn't look before flipping the u-turn, at least he had insurance. :shock:

Anyway, it's good to be back.
Barbie - 89 VTR250 - 7k+, back on the road after 3 1/2 year vacation
Skipper - 90 VTR250 - 37k+, black & white, two-part project working 22 years after first parked
Parts bike - 90 VTR250 - 20k+, "maintained" by idiots
Barbie & Skipper

Re: Starting over

Postby ExTex77 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:44 pm

Welcome back.
Too bad your misfortune had to drive you back to the VTR250s. Good that you have more than 1.
I have heard that some of the Chinese petcocks will work. But no idea which.
Hopefully another owner knows.

This fits the newer VTR250s (1997--2008) https://www.amazon.com/Petcock-CBR250R-CBR250RR-Interceptor-VTR250/dp/B0175LY0AW

But this is a repair kit for yours. https://www.amazon.com/0105-004-Petcock-Rebuild-Repair-Parts/dp/B07GRF7BXP/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Honda%7C59&Model=VTR250%20Interceptor%7C20263&Year=1989%7C1989&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=2&vehicleType=motorcycle

Use a speak tester to check the spark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQBtzk-dGYM

WalMart & Harbor Freight sell them. https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore%2Cf%2CEAFeatured+Weight%2Cf%2CSale+Rank%2Cf&q=69023

Have fun
ExTex
1989 Honda VTR250 & 1988 Honda NT650
Wife rides a Burgman 200 scooter and I enjoy riding it also
ExTex77

Postby Barbie & Skipper » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:20 pm

Thanks so much. The petcock rebuild kit has been ordered, and I'll drop by Harbor Freight tomorrow. I'll check the compression tomorrow as well. When I got Skipper years ago, she only had compression on one cylinder, but it came back after adding in some oil/atf. I suppose that the rings had got stuck after sitting for years. Perhaps Barbie has the same trouble.

Do you know if that petcock fits our bikes? I was surprised that it was actual cheaper for a full petcock assembly than for just the rebuild kit. I put Barbie away separate from here tupperware, and haven't found the reserve switch yet. I'm using a 3/8" socket on a nut driver as a temp solution, and ordered an 8mm square socket for use until I can find a better solution, or the original knobs.
Skipper - 90 VTR250 - 37k+, black & white, two-part project working 22 years after first parked
Barbie & Skipper

Postby ExTex77 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:40 am

I have no knowledge about the petcock for the newer VTR250.
Since those bikes do not have the side panels, there is no provision for the plastic extension knob,
so I'd guess no one has tested the fit on the older bikes.
IF the gas tank hasn't changed, i would expect them to fit.
This chart indicates the same fuel capacity for the two models. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_VTR250

I wish someone would clone the valve extension and make some on a 3-D printer.

Have fun
ExTex
ExTex77

Postby Barbie & Skipper » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:31 pm

I posted in the Fuel System section about a possible replacement petcock lever/extension. Not elegant, but functional.

No spark per the spark tester. I'm done for today, but will follow the FSM testing specs to see what I get. If there's anything that typically goes south first, I wouldn't mind a hint. The bike was running fine when I parked it 3.5 years ago.

Compression was pretty disappointing. 160psi in the front, but only 60psi in the back. After a shot of oil, compression is up to about 100psi. I was hoping for a quick and easy "back into service", but it looks like a bit more work than expected.

Hopefully next week will bring some more progress. :)
Barbie & Skipper

Postby squirrelman » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:26 pm

Hey, B&S, good to have you on board ! :)

do you have a service manual ? for no spark try pulling all the relevant plugs apart and cleaning contacts, especially the leads from pulse generator and CDI plugs.

use your voltmeter to check for power going to CDI with key and run switch ON.

seems like low compression might be due to bad valve sealing, in which case you'll need to grind valves and seats. valves that are open during storage may develop some corrosion that hurts the sealing. i recently removed a rear cylinderhead on one of my VTR's for headgasket replacement, and it's pretty easy. :P
squirrelman

Postby Barbie & Skipper » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:25 pm

The petcock rebuild kit arrived and is installed. I got to step 2 in the FSM for Ignition System Troubleshooting "Measure voltage ... at the spark connector", and no voltage. Pulled the kill switch housing, and the switch is corroded and is always open. I shorted the kill switch contacts while checking the spark connector voltage (a job that would have been easier with 3 or 4 hands :D) and confirmed that was the culprit.

I'm going to track down some electrical contract cleaner, and hopefully will be back in business.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.
Barbie & Skipper

Postby ExTex77 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:38 pm

Usually, auto parts stores have electrical contact cleaner at a reasonable price.

Glad you are making significant progress.

Enjoy some turkey
ExTex
ExTex77

Postby Barbie & Skipper » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:46 pm

Yee haw! Home Depot was still open, so I picked up some electrical contact cleaner. A couple of shots of cleaner, and working the kill switch back & forth a few times, and I now have voltage at the spark unit connectors. :D

I'll start putting it together tomorrow before or after Thanksgiving Dinner/Lunch, or maybe Friday. I'm expecting that it will need a bit of tweaking on the carbs, but I'm very encouraged at this point. Barbie is a real low-mileage girl, so hopefully there are no serious issues.

Assuming all goes well, the next step will be pulling the forks and swingarm off the parts bike, and prepping them to swap over to Barbie.

EDIT: ExTex, just saw your post. Thanks! FWIW, I'm an ex-Texan also... lived in the Rio Grande Valley from about 69-71.
Barbie & Skipper

Postby Barbie & Skipper » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:28 pm

I got Barbie bolted back together this morning, and she eventually fired up. :) She was running pretty rough and smoking a lot (think mosquito fogger), and stopped after a few minutes. By then it was time to get cleaned up for Thanksgiving with some friends (doing the family time tomorrow), so I was pretty encouraged during lunch.

After a nice repast, I couldn't get her started again. Pulled the tank, pulled the airbox. She'd fire on ether, or a bit of gas down the carbs, so it had to be fuel. I hooked up a temporary fuel source, and she fire up. Still rough, and a huge amount of smoke, but she settled down okay after a while. I had put oil in the cylinders, but was surprise how much and how long she smoked. It probably took over 20 minutes, and several start cycles before the smoke went away.

When I rebuilt the petcock, I attached the vacuum line to the vent, rather than to the vacuum port. Once I figured that out, I rotated the outlets (inner/vacuum horizontal to the center of the bike & the outer/vent pointing down), and hooked the tank up again. Finally, I had fuel feeding properly and no smoke screen.

The front pipe was running 313F, and the rear 270F, and I haven't fine tuned the carbs yet. I let her idle/fast idle until she was up to operating temps a few times, and bolted up all the plastics. It took me a while to remember when the seat release was, but got that figured out as well. I made a few passes up and down the driveway, and every thing seems to be okay, brakes, transmission, etc.

I'd paid for 5-tags, so she's still licensed for another week, and put insurance on her last week.

All in all, a very good Thanksgiving. :D
Barbie & Skipper

Next

Return to Rebuilds