Starting over

Show off your skills in turning a basket case into a showroom dream!

Re: Starting over

Postby ExTex77 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:27 am

That was a lot of progress. Nice that you got it where you could ride it.
I took a T-Day ride on my NT650.
Tomorrow, my wife (on her Burgman 200 scooter) and I (on the VTR250) plan to do our usual weekend ride around the county.

Have a great weekend and ride safely.
ExTex
1989 Honda VTR250 & 1988 Honda NT650
Wife rides a Burgman 200 scooter and I enjoy riding it also
ExTex77

Postby Barbie & Skipper » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:37 pm

Hope you and your wife had a good ride. I took Barbie out for about 35 miles this morning. Most of the time I was thinking "What an amazingly pleasant little bike!". Except for when she sputtered and died in the fast lane at about 70mph. Then I was thinking "Hmmmm". I had a full tank of fuel but it felt like running out of gas. I pulled over into the median / up against the barrier, and switched the fuel over to reserve. Then I checked the vacuum line to the petcock, and it looked fine. She started right up with the choke, and ran fine with the choke off. After another 5 miles or so, I pulled over and went back to primary. No more problems, so I'm unsure what happened.

After returning home, the rest of the day was spent cleaning the garage. It's been waaaay too long. Among the things found during the process were the little black triangular trim pieces that go between the bottom of the instrument cluster and the side plastic. :) In the same bag was the petcock extension! :D

So today was another good day.
Barbie - 89 VTR250 - 6k+, back on the road.
Skipper - 90 VTR250 - 36k+, painted black & white, "ran when parked", upcoming project.
Parts bike - 90 VTR250 - 22k+, "maintained" by idiots, but mostly complete, no title.
Barbie & Skipper

Postby ExTex77 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:47 pm

Wow, Great that you found the petcock extension.

Our ride went well, about 1.5 hrs on the back roads of our county. The roads are paved, but abused by loaded timber trucks.
Bikes can dodge most of the potholes, thank goodness!

I own 1 of the triangular pieces, but never bother to install it.
I'm looking for a place to stick on a voltage meter, maybe a replacement panel at that location ?

Have a good Sunday and the rest of the month.
ExTex
ExTex77

Postby Barbie & Skipper » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:14 am

As noted in the other thread, fueling issues have consumed some time and energy, but it looks like both the starvation and the leaks are resolved.

I have JBM slide diaphragms on order, and have fresh BT45's on the way as well.

Skipper's exhaust is bolted up, and a petcock rebuild kit is on the way. I'll need a new battery and tires, but I'm going to hold off until the engine is running. Barbie will be thrilled to loan her battery to the cause. :) Since Skipper was parked dry, my hope is that it will not be necessary to rebuild the carbs. It's been a while since Skipper was running, but if memory serves, everything was done except the seat, the petcock, & the tires.

It would be nice to have both of them road ready and street legal by Christmas.
Skipper - 90 VTR250 - 36k+, painted black & white, "ran when parked", upcoming project.
Parts bike - 90 VTR250 - 22k+, "maintained" by idiots, but mostly complete, no title.
Barbie & Skipper

Postby Barbie & Skipper » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:17 pm

Got fresh boots on Barbie. BT45's. 110/90-16 & 120/90-16 read. Figured oversize front will get the speedo closer, and the taller rear will bring me closer to 8mph/1000rpm.

I'm confident Skipper is going to run, so I'm going to go ahead and order the battery and tires. With the carb kits already on the way, it's still looking like Christmas is a possiblity for having the pair on the road.
Barbie & Skipper

Postby ExTex77 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:42 pm

Sounds like reasonable idea on tires. I ran oversized tires for a while and liked them.

I have the front fender raised about 1/4" to give good clearance for an oversized tire.

Let us know how they perform.
ExTex
ExTex77

Previous

Return to Rebuilds