90 VTR250 Trackbike or bust

Show off your skills in turning a basket case into a showroom dream!

Re: 90 VTR250 Trackbike or bust

Postby Spoot5 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:27 pm

Bellypan is here. started to do the boxed-out mod, but will now fill that in and just cut the back\lower off and lower the whole thing an inch, like Spot suggested.
Sounds like my Penske shock is ready for pickup.
Missed the last race weekend....and my pencilled in trackday. uhg.

Painted the plastics & tank. Sides got crinkled because I used the wrong clearcoat. uhg. Tank looks pretty good, could have done more prep to make it look nicer?
Front number plate is mounted.
'90 VTR250 Interceptor / '98 VF750F Magna / '98 VTR1000F / '08 Ridgeline / Honda Racing Bicycle
CCS Mid-West #518 Am
Spoot5

Postby spotthedogg » Wed May 30, 2018 7:30 pm

Paint is all about prep and good quality materials, watch out for contamination too.
spotthedogg

Postby Spoot5 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:52 pm

I have been using the Spray Max Glamorous High Gloss.
My last can I used on the tank, then I went to a new place and bought a few new cans...but I didn't realize, the new cans were called "Rapid".
So, what I believe happened was that the Rapid dried too fast on top of wet paint (like I normally do) and it crinkled.

After I boogered it up, the can of Rapid says it drys in a couple minutes. The Glamorous dries in an hour and cures in 24hr (something like that)
'90 VTR250 Interceptor / '98 VF750F Magna / '98 VTR1000F / '08 Ridgeline / Honda Racing Bicycle
CCS Mid-West #518 Am
Spoot5

Postby Spoot5 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:49 am

I had my first trackday. Little thing didn't blow up!!

I did find some stuff I have to address....So, last night I started in on my list.

1. Caliper was dragging bad. Cooked the dust seals.
- Found that the tabs on the pad were bent(?) and prob kept pads from moving. Rebuild with new seals. New EBC HH pads. Bleed brakes again.
- FYI, I also swapped out the R3 master cylinder (which was 11mm) for my Honda Superhawk master (14mm). MUCH better lever force!

2. Belly pan dragging on right, at the bump-out for the pipe AND the underside.
** With my knee on the ground, I was still dragging pan in T6. So bad in fact, it actually off-weighted the rear tire and started to slide. :shock:
- Raised shock ride height by 6mm and removed the little clip on the forks above the handlebars so I could raise the front end by 3mm.
- The Penske shock added 4.5mm in ride height to begin with, so in theory, I should be 10.5mm higher than stock (rear) and now 3mm more in front.

3. Left shift lever was still rubbing on belly pan, but functional. It was already bent out before assembly.
- Will bend shift lever even more to make room for belly pan. I have a donor now in case it doesn't bend enough.

4. Another oil change.
- Looks like it used some up, but this is the first time in a decade that this engine has been run and distance\time...and it was run hard.

5. Was running 26R\31F hot tire pressure (Pirelli SC1 v2 front \ SC2 v1 rear).
- Had debris on leading edges in front & rear.
- Decreased rebound on rear 2 clicks.
- I will have to talk to my suspension peeps...front rebound is controlled by the oil weight? I'm running 15wt...so, maybe a slight blend with some 10wt??
- Also had a little hot tear on the front, so I will come up 1lb psi on the front. This weekend is supposed to be a bit warmer than my last outing.

6. I had a notable stutter\glitch on the throttle at 11k-13k rpm. 
 - CapitalView thought this sounded identical to the issue he had on his carb'd SV. He put in bigger jets and cured the problem.
 - We pulled the spark plugs out - they were very white and only a slight tad of tan color, but more-so white. That means lean.
 - Decided to put in bigger jets. Went to 122 mains. Had 120's in it. Reassemble carbs & installed. Still starts and revs ok. Almost felt beefier than before.
 - Verified that the slides were moving properly before putting tank and airbox back on.
CCS Mid-West #518 Am
Spoot5

Postby spotthedogg » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:38 am

Sounds like you had fun!
If you are dragging your belly pan you need to hang off more and carry less lean angle. My bike is raised 1" in the rear and lowered 5mm in front.

I am still using 112 main jets, surprised at your 122's.

Are you running the 110/140 Pirelli on the stock rims? I find the SuperCorsa very easy to carry a lot of lean angle but there is no edge feel, as in they just keep going down. With them pinched on the narrow stock rims this would be even worse.

You should have some rubber accumulation on the edge of the tire, a 1/8"-3/16" ball every 3" along the edge means good temperature. If the balls are linking up into larger balls add 1PSI, if it is a consistent smear (molten rubber) add 2PSI.
spotthedogg

Previous

Return to Rebuilds