90 VTR250 Trackbike or bust

Show off your skills in turning a basket case into a showroom dream!

Re: 90 VTR250 Trackbike or bust

Postby Spoot5 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:15 pm

Another dyno run today....went bad.
It doesn't like the 122's with blocked off air-box mod (stock).
It doesn't like the 122's with air-box mod and a gas tank mounted.
It doesn't like the 122's with air-box mod and NO gas tank.
All 3 runs today only produced 26-27hp.

SO....back to the 120 mains. Might try to mount the front of the tank a little higher to allow air in and hopefully get my 32hp back.

Ordered Race Tech springs and emulators for the forks.
I have Penske making me a shock. Double-clicker with remote reservoir, preload & ride height options. It'll be about $900.
They only had 1 build on file for a vtr250 - for a Asian-bike\rider with all kinds of custom frame stuff....so, they said that wouldn't be any help.
I ordered a donor shock and gave that to my suspension guys to get measurements off of.

Tires are here. 110/70-17 SuperCorsa v2 SC1 = front. 120/70-17 SuperCorsa v1 SC2 = for the rear.

Tried to unscrew the thermo switch on the thermostat housing (we broke the pin off when trying to do a carb sync)...it twisted off in 1/2. uhg.
Replacement thermostat housing on the way.
Ordered some frame/body panel grommets.

I thinks that's it so far. lol
'90 VTR250 Interceptor / '98 VF750F Magna / '98 VTR1000F / '08 Ridgeline / Honda Racing Bicycle
CCS Mid-West #518 Am
Spoot5

Postby VTR250 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:38 am

Bikes, they're a gift and curse ;) iv enjoyed following this thread so far.

If you raise the tank, you may have a hard time lining the fairings up.

Keep it up *thumbs up*
VTR250

Postby Spoot5 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:01 am

Sometimes I'm a dolt...

I found a thermostat housing in my parts box, so now I have 2 to pick from (duh).
I also found a frame grommet in my spares, so the SIX I just ordered is a little over kill (duh).

I picked up my Race Tech springs & gold emulators today.
Took the forks out and dissembled. WOW. The oil was thick and dark gray with a silver shimmer to it.
So, we guessed the all of the previous owners never changed the fluid...lol.
Everything got cleaned up and all of the other internal parts looked great. We drilled out the additional holes in the damping rod and re-assembled everything.
We didn't have a bearing driver for this small of a fork, but we found that a 1 1/2" PVC pipe will work, so I will head back to my friends place tomorrow to finish these off. The emulators "said" they come with the 64lb springs installed (yellow)...but they actually had the 40lb (blue) installed.
The directions said that for forks 33-36mm, they recommend the 40lb springs (the '90 has 35mm).
I am planning to do 10wt oil.

New tires got mounted and balanced today as well.
The old rear was from 1998 - a Bridgestone Battleax BT35R ?
The old front was an IRC something, dated 2007 and actually seemed slightly usable, lol.
(both will be tossed, btw)

1st race weekend is April 28th & 29th. Autobahn Country Club. I think it will be the North course. I think they have cameras that will be live, if anyone here wants to watch!! :)
I haven't heard anything from Penske about my shock.
I haven't heard anything about the Airtech bellypan.
(fingers crossed)

We are getting 3-6 inches of snow right now in S. WI
'90 VTR250 Interceptor / '98 VF750F Magna / '98 VTR1000F / '08 Ridgeline / Honda Racing Bicycle
CCS Mid-West #518 Am
Spoot5

Postby Spoot5 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:59 pm

new front & rear bearings arrived. I got some work to do this weekend.
:)
CCS Mid-West #518 Am
Spoot5

Postby squirrelman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:06 pm

Best wishes for a good racing weekend !
squirrelman

Postby Spoot5 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:14 pm

Saturday:
Pulled out the 28-yr old wheel bearings fr/rr. Installed All Balls kit in the rear, new OEM in the front (pulling them was a challenge).
Cleaned up the rims a little, they look a little nicer now.
Got my enclosed trailer out of storage.

Sunday:
I got the forks put back in (forgot to tighten the screw at the bottom of the forks, it had a quite a few drips of oil after a couple days)
Greased up the speedo thing with fresh lithium grease.
Cleaned up the front/rear axles & spacers...lubed with fresh grease.
Front wheel mounted. Speedo cable mount was broke, so I may need another cable.
Inside of front fender cut to make room for warmers - looks like it should be OK now. Fender mounted.
Rear wheel mounted.
Relocated horn so I have room for front triple stand.
Naughty coolant drained - flushed twice with distilled water (including front cylinder drain bolt)- Engine Ice is in and burped.
I cut the shovel off of the rear fender & mounted it to give me back a place to mount the ECU(?).
Mounted the tail piece and one of the side panels, just to make sure stuff fits. Looks good!!
​​​​​​​Picked up some pink and baby blue paints.  :)

Needs:
Install 120 jets.
Radiator mount bolt.
Fab a mounting-tab on the tail piece.
Fab a filler piece for the tail-light area.
Sand/paint plastics, fender, tank.
Change oil/filter, drill proper bolts for safety wire.

Still waiting on Airtech belly pan & Penske shock.....
CCS Mid-West #518 Am
Spoot5

Postby spotthedogg » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:55 pm

Well, sorry guys I’ve not been checking in. Would love some pictures to go with this thread :D
You will want to use 15WT Maxima fork fluid with your emulator set.
I’m not too sure but I think I am back to 115 main jets on mine.
The SC1/SC2 tires combo is nice, they will be slightly pinched on the wheels but manageable.
Glad my posts have been helpful, sucks that most of my photos are gone. :cry:
Why do you retain the horn and speedometer?
spotthedogg

Postby Spoot5 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:24 pm

Woo Hoo!! Hi Scott !!
Glad to see you popped in!!

As I was combing through your thread & squirrelman and a couple others, I thought 10wt in the forks was the ticket...I can get that changed out.
Working with the Dyno shop, I may or not benefit from the 122's....I have some new info to add to that saga.

I kept the horn because I like to toot at people. Going down the front straight with friends standing at the wall..I'm trying to say "I'M HAVING FUN!!!"
Everyone gets a giggle. Well, at least I do.
Speedo is just something I'm used to. I'd like\have to get a spacer to try to eliminate it, iirc. Any thoughts on that one?

Back to my carb saga.
After reading all the dyno stuff that has been posted here or referred to here...I'm think I'm convinced that the 'US' model is always going to show lean on a a/f meter. Chasing the a/f mix sounds like it can be a lost cause, but the butt dyno can truely tell the tale.

I thought you (spot) have found various results using the butt-dyno method. You were at 122's with the airbox mod, then 120's and plugged the mod...
Now, I'm not experienced enough in engine builds to know which thing affects what....but, if you have 115 mains now, you also have a very well built engine.

After the last dyno on mine with the 122's, it was still very lean, but it fell down at 8k and stayed flat to redline. Peaked at about 26-27hp.
The runs were nearly identical with the tank, no tank, blocked mod & modded airbox...all the same?
That was very odd to me and the owner of the shop said "put in the 120's, mount the tank. You ain't gonna burn that thing up".

Well, the other night when I put the 120's back in, I got the carbs all hooked up and I decided to just push the slide up to make sure the diaphrams hadn't let loose. Well...the front slide made a metalic scratching sound and it only lifted up 1/2 way. ??? I tried it a few times, only ever half way.
WTF?
So I pulled the cover off and can't remember where the placement of the spring was, but after inspecting everthing and put it back together, it slides up and down just fine and I could hear the air move through the little hole.

NOW, I start to obsess over whether or not the spring had jumped out of the detent to keep it ccenter and it moved over to the side and restricted the slide from opening up fully. that would mean I had one carb-slide wide open and one at about half travel.
Would that explain a nice climb on the dyno, then flattens out at 26hp and only wiggles a little through the rest of the rev?

I'll get a pic loaded tonight of the dyno-debacle.
Last edited by Spoot5 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CCS Mid-West #518 Am
Spoot5

Postby Spoot5 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:37 pm

Here's a question for anyone....

What's with the directions for aligning the front disc\axle?? I've never had to move\slide the axle over and measure with a feeler to align the disc or caliper.
I just don't get that?

The Airtech belly pan is on the way, should be here early next week.
Penske will have the shock ready late next week.
I am planning on a trackday May 12-13 and then the next race weekend will be May 19-20.
CCS Mid-West #518 Am
Spoot5

Postby spotthedogg » Wed May 30, 2018 7:20 pm

I am actually down to 112 main jets now and about 35HP on the dyno
spotthedogg

PreviousNext

Return to Rebuilds