Honda CT-110 help maybe?

This is for any other bike that is NOT an 88-90 VTR 250.

Honda CT-110 help maybe?

Postby John Hilmer » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:40 pm

Folks,

I'm going to be helping a young lady learn how to wrench on her little bike and I'm not at all familiar with it. My plan is to do a basic service so she can learn this.

I've down loaded the factory manual and looked through the basics including the valve settings, timing chain adjustment, carb rebuild, and all of those things we would normally go through on a "New To Us" machine.

My question is regarding any inside knowledge about this machine and known foibles or problems that I should be aware of.

Any input about this if you know of things I should be aware of would be much appreciated.

Yeah, it is pretty simple, but if there are things known that aren't in the manual I would really appreciate the insight.

Steve?

John
Lord help me to be the man my Labrador thought I was.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood ...
John Hilmer

Re: Honda CT-110 help maybe?

Postby Murdo1 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:43 pm

Sorry John, I have never played with one of those.
They are used by Australia post for mail delivery and get the absolute crap thrashed out of them, yet they still keep going. Aus post sell them off and people are still riding them, we even have a 'postie bike grand prix' run over about six hours. :lol:
I would think that service would be fairly straight forward similar to any other small OHC Honda. Certainly not as difficult as a VT. :D
The only thing I can think of may be the adjustment of the auto clutch. Follow the manual and all should be good.
Murdo1

Postby moparren » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:24 pm

Hi John

A bit late to reply on this but I'll throw in my $.02.

Basically, it's bullet prof. Keep things clean and lubed and it should run for just about forever. As with all small engines, it doesn't take much to plug up the small jets in the carb. Not sure about the 110's, but the weakest link on the early CT90's (I have a '66) is the 6 volt charging system. The 110 may be a 12 volt witch should be much mo' betta.

Best place for parts is Dr ATV. http://dratv.com/

Dave
Random writings and photography can be found here - http://davidsreynolds.weebly.com/
moparren

Postby John Hilmer » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:23 am

Dave,

Thanks so much for the link.

This one is an '80 version and is 6 Volt.

I'm beginning to wonder about the compression on this as it has 16,000 miles on it. I have yet to get the valves set and check the compression.

More later as I get through things.

John
John Hilmer

Postby Old Rider » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:18 pm

John,

I have some knowledge. The 1980's did not have the two speed sub transmission. I found the clutches on two 1980's were not assembled correctly. Some of the springs and plates were not in the correct order, but everything is there. If the bike seams difficult to kick start (hard to push through), it might be good to check the clutch for correct assembly.

This is very late.
Old Rider

Postby John Hilmer » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:16 am

Thanks so much,

It may be late to the party, but it is spot on regarding the problem you describe. This has been noted on this example and I've been scratching my head about what could possibly be the cause.

We'll certainly have a look at the clutch and see what we find.

This is just a perfect contribution for us.

Best,

John
John Hilmer

Return to Other Bikes