1986 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R - E1

This is for any other bike that is NOT an 88-90 VTR 250.

Re: 1986 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R - E1

Postby Yamahawk » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:23 am

Here is the lower I am thinking about trying and cutting down a little, for a belly pan. I will have to enclose the bottom, and get the brackets to mount it, but I am thinking that since it must mount to the engine, it will be no problem.
s-l1600.jpg

Of course, I will have a couple welds to do, but ABS is pretty easy to weld with a soldering iron.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son,that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have Eternal Life.John 3:16
For God didn't send His Son to the world to condemn the world, but through Him world might be saved .John 3:17
Yamahawk

Postby Yamahawk » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:26 am

spotthedogg wrote:And sometimes there is none available because there is no market...

Yeah, but there are many of these two years out there, so if made, there may be a small market. I would like to have some just because they will hold up better than ABS does in a low side hehe... I am sure you can relate to this, as I can ;)
For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son,that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have Eternal Life.John 3:16
For God didn't send His Son to the world to condemn the world, but through Him world might be saved .John 3:17
Yamahawk

Postby spotthedogg » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:52 am

Yamahawk wrote:Here is the lower I am thinking about trying and cutting down a little, for a belly pan. I will have to enclose the bottom, and get the brackets to mount it, but I am thinking that since it must mount to the engine, it will be no problem.
s-l1600.jpg

Of course, I will have a couple welds to do, but ABS is pretty easy to weld with a soldering iron.

I believe these just hang from the upper fairing and only two lower blots attach to frame
spotthedogg

Postby Yamahawk » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:09 pm

There are two side brackets, and one center bracket that bolts the front of it. There is not really any 'frame' to bolt to, and the original 86-87 bolted somewhere on the engine, I am sure. Here is a pic of the 1st gen 88-07, and you can see that the only frame is above the engine and to the rear of it, where it most likely bolts the side brackets to. I think it is possible to eliminate the top two fairing attachments, and just have three points mounting I will see, when I get the brackets and lower.
1st gen ninja250r.jpg

here is the pic of an 88-07 engine and frame.
Yamahawk

Postby spotthedogg » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:07 pm

Well, it's not hard to see why they say they are flexy :D
spotthedogg

Postby Yamahawk » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:16 pm

I picked up the lower belly pan yesterday, along with the three brackets that it bolts on with, for a huge sum of $20! :D
IMAG0113.jpg

It fits well, this early Ninja has the same bolts and attachments as the 2007 this came off of! I was very happy that Kawasaki didn't reinvent anything when they changed gas tanks, and fairings.
I think I may fill in the mount holes where it was bolted to the fairing sides, as they are not going to be used. Either that, or I will cut down the sides to make it smaller, I haven't decided yet...
I did some ABS welding with some rods I had from a Harbor freight kit, and it works well! All the cracks are welded, now I have to sand and paint the belly pan black!

Oh, and here I welded in a panel to make it a catch pan for racing, I have to add a dam at the back yet, but that will be after mounting and measurements of clearance, etc.

IMAG0114.jpg
Yamahawk

Postby Yamahawk » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:56 am

i got the belly pan enclosed, and then a shot of satin black to start out. I haven't decided what it will be when done, but at least it's not blue anymore!! :D
Yamahawk

Postby Yamahawk » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:47 pm

I found that EX500R rims from 1994 - 2009 will be almost a bolt on solution, at least for the rear rim. I have it installed, using the left side EX250 wheel spacer on the EX500 rear rim and it aligns up the chain perfect! Then, I used the EX500 caliper and mount on the right side with either of the right hand spacers from the EX250 or EX500 as they are identical, and it fit like it was made for it. All I have to do, is weld in a small bar of the correct thickness for the caliper mount to slide/detent into, as it has a groove and tab that keeps it held for braking. Here are a couple pics of the mounting!
IMAG0124.jpg

IMAG0125.jpg
Yamahawk

Previous

Return to Other Bikes