1st impressions of the Honda CB500F

This is for any other bike that is NOT an 88-90 VTR 250.

1st impressions of the Honda CB500F

Postby ExTex77 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:51 pm

I bought the 500F because I wanted to replace my 1983 Nighthawk 650. I didn't buy the CBR500R because I have a 1989 VTR250 (too similar),
and I am too short for the CB500X.

Bear in mind, I have only ridden 125 miles:
I do miss the my 4-cylinder engine but the 500 is low in vibrations.
The seat is not good, about on par with the VTR250's seat.
An Air Hawk 2 cushion helps a lot.

The seat height is about the same as the VTR250. The center of gravity is pretty good.
The muffler is nice and quiet but you can hear the exhaust.
The gauges are easy to read and the Select button is large enough to use with gloves on.
The turn signal switch and horn switch are reversed in position on the left switch assy, but that is not a real problem after a few tries.
The horn button is easy to find and use.
There is a Hazard switch so the old "Park" position on the ignition switch has been removed. YEA !
The tail bag off my VTR250 fits the 500F without and problem and is easy to remove and install.

I also miss having a wind screen and plan to rectify that by next Fall.
I will also buy a center stand for better ease of maintenance.

The bike is a pleasure to start (no choking and no warm-up).
Low speed operation is a bit jerky, (probably due to fueling) but with a little slipping of the clutch, that is not a problem.
1st gear is low, so a bigger drive sprocket is probably in the future.

The engine appears to have sufficient power as you get to 5k RPMs (about as far as I have revved it).

The tool kit is: 1 metric Allen wrench to remove the front seat, 1 fuse puller and 1 cable for locking your helmet under the seat.
The tool kit is under the rear seat,which opens with the ignition key. There is room for the users manual (good manual) and little else.
I added a short chain and lock for securing my helmet to the frame rather than messing with the cable/seat option.

I also installed a Vista Cruise Universal throttle lock and am in the process of adjusting it to work well.
It did install easily after moving the front brake lever assy about 1/4" to make a gap for it's mounting clamp.

And it is pretty!

Ride Safely,
ExTex
1989 Honda VTR250 & 2015 Honda CB500FA
Wife rides a Burgman 200 scooter and I enjoy riding it also
ExTex77

Re: 1st impressions of the Honda CB500F

Postby Guaire » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:02 am

Sounds like a candidate for a Power Commander.
I like the Vista. I'm going to look into one for my VF500F. If only for warming up off the choke.
Guaire

Re: 1st impressions of the Honda CB500F

Postby ExTex77 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:35 am

Still happy with the 500F. About 6000 miles.
There are several windshields that fit so you can explore which works for your height.
I got a center stand and a luggage rack (use a tail bag on it) and adjustable levers (EBay) along with 3 windshields, so far (all under $150 each).

Not a lot of need for modifications.
A Power Commander does not really add power unless you go with a replacement exhaust system... together too expensive.
Standard there are no bad fuel meeterings that need help, so I've stuck with the std. exhaust and tuning.
The exhaust does get better sounding when worn in.

If/when I decide on more power, I'll move up to a Kawasaki Z650.

Ride Safely,

PS. Still love to ride my VTR250
ExTex
1989 Honda VTR250 & 2015 Honda CB500FA
Wife rides a Burgman 200 scooter and I enjoy riding it also
ExTex77

Return to Other Bikes