ZX6E

This is for any other bike that is NOT an 88-90 VTR 250.

ZX6E

Postby Barbie & Skipper » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:06 pm

I've decided to pull my 93 ZX6E out of storage. She's been parked for 5.5+ years, so I'm not completely sure what I'm up against. I've Evapo-Rusted the tank (again), bought a new battery, oil, coolant, oil filter, fuel strainer, and jets for the carbs. I have the auxiliary electrical working, but not getting a response from the starter yet. I'm holding off on new tires until after I get her running again. Skipper's tags expire in the Spring, so I'll probably just keep 2 bikes on the road. I haven't been riding that much lately, but I might get ambitious and do more day trips and perhaps a longer ride or tow this year. We'll see.
Barbie - 89 VTR250 - 7k+, back on the road after 3 1/2 year vacation
Skipper - 90 VTR250 - 39k+, black & white, back on the road 22 years after first parked
Parts bike - 90 VTR250 - 20k+, "maintained" by idiots
Barbie & Skipper

Re: ZX6E

Postby ExTex77 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:43 pm

The ZX6E sounds like a fun bike. I always lusted after aZZR600, but never got to ride one.

Happy New Year
ExTex
1989 Honda VTR250 & 1988 Honda NT650
Wife rides a Burgman 200 scooter and I enjoy riding it also
ExTex77

Postby Barbie & Skipper » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:52 pm

The ZX6E and the ZZR600 are the same bike, just named differently depending on the year and the country. It's a fun bike. Quite pleasant and friendly if ridden politely, but it has a feisty side if you let the revs rise.

I figured out the cranking issue. Two parts, but pretty straightforward. The kill switch contacts needed cleaned, and the clutch safety switch wasn't plugged in all the way. Still haven't dived into the carbs. I've got a few more parts on order, and should have her running by mid-month and back on the road by the end of January.
Skipper - 90 VTR250 - 39k+, black & white, back on the road 22 years after first parked
Barbie & Skipper

Postby Barbie & Skipper » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:50 pm

She fired up Saturday for the first time in 5.5+ years. :D I had ordered a K&N filter, and the Ultimate Jet Kit from carbjetkits.com, so I cleaned & re-jetted the carbs, and shimmed the slides.
Being lazy, I didn't check the float levels. They were all the same, and the bike ran fine when I parked it. At first, she would only fire up on ether. Upon the suggestion from a friend, I checked the float levels. They're supposed to be @ 11+/- 2mm, and they were all in the 17.5mm range. Fixed that, and she started up fairly easily. Too much smoke out the exhaust, but I attributed it to years of sitting. On my first road trip, I went through 3.6 gallons of gas in 40 miles. :shock:

So I pulled the carbs again, and decided to go back to the stock jetting & remove the needle shims (1 shim per). On the 3rd carb, I heard a rattle/clunk when I removed the float bowl... Turns out I hadn't tightened the pilot jet, and it was just pouring fuel into the engine. After re-installing the upgraded jets and shims, the bike fired up and runs nice. No smoke, good power, apparently decent fuel economy. I say apparently, as I've only put about 35 miles on this tank, and the fuel gauge is still almost on full.

I had forgotten just how nice of a bike the ZX6E really is. The ZX6E/ZZR was sort of the last generation of sport bikes designed more for "riders" rather than "racers". More street-focused and track-capable rather than track-focused and barely-street-capable. Lots of nice touches: bungee hooks, one-piece key-removable seat, under-seat storage, locking fairing compartment, fuel gauge, rational ergonomics,clear fairing-mounted mirrors. Conceptually, a lot like the VTR's but a bit bigger, heavier, and a lot more power.

Once the jets were all in place, the bike is very pleasant. Smooth,effortless power starting down low. Well, down low for a 600, not compared to a big twin cruiser. The top end is still strong, but there is no light-switch moment where it goes from asleep to yanking your arms out of the sockets. So far, I'm very pleased.
Barbie & Skipper

Postby spotthedogg » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:44 am

I think the CBR650F is a nice modern option.
VT250F2H Track. sARL AM #72
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1415
1989 HAWK GT NT696 Race Bike
https://www.hawkgtforum.com/forum/honda ... t-canadian
spotthedogg

Return to Other Bikes