Indian Scout

This is for any other bike that is NOT an 88-90 VTR 250.

Indian Scout

Postby Barbie & Skipper » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:08 pm

Our local Indian dealer did short demo rides for Presidents' Day.

I'm not a cruiser guy, but the Scout was a nice ride. I was quite impressed with the whole bike, but especially with the engine. The Scout has a redline approaching 8k, though I never took it above 4k. It pulled nicely from just above idle. From what I read, it's one of the few cruiser engines that really wakes up at higher rpm's. It sounded good without obnoxious noise or vibration.

I'm no fan of the stretched-out arms and legs riding position, but it wasn't uncomfortable on the 4-mile test ride. The front brake felt nice and strong, which was contrary to my experience on some other cruisers. In spite of the seating position, it wasn't uncomfortable cornering, even at parking-lot speeds.

It was a lot of fun, considering how short the ride was. If they give rides on the FTR 1200 when it comes out, I'll go back. It looks like Polaris is doing a really nice job with the Indian brand.
Barbie - 89 VTR250 - 7k+, back on the road after 3 1/2 year vacation
Skipper - 90 VTR250 - 37k+, black & white, two-part project finished 22 years after first parked
Parts bike - 90 VTR250 - 20k+, "maintained" by idiots
Barbie & Skipper

Re: Indian Scout

Postby squirrelman » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:25 pm

nice, but polaris was always known for unreliable machines, right ? :?
squirrelman

Postby UK Keith » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:54 pm

Barbie & Skipper wrote:Our local Indian dealer did short demo rides for Presidents' Day.

I'm not a cruiser guy, but the Scout was a nice ride. I was quite impressed with the whole bike, but especially with the engine. The Scout has a redline approaching 8k, though I never took it above 4k. It pulled nicely from just above idle. From what I read, it's one of the few cruiser engines that really wakes up at higher rpm's. It sounded good without obnoxious noise or vibration.

I'm no fan of the stretched-out arms and legs riding position, but it wasn't uncomfortable on the 4-mile test ride. The front brake felt nice and strong, which was contrary to my experience on some other cruisers. In spite of the seating position, it wasn't uncomfortable cornering, even at parking-lot speeds.

It was a lot of fun, considering how short the ride was. If they give rides on the FTR 1200 when it comes out, I'll go back. It looks like Polaris is doing a really nice job with the Indian brand.

I rode the Scout Bobber at the UK motorcycle show last November just because it was the most different bike on offer to anything I'd ridden in recent years and I can only agree with everything you've written above. I'd have to have a lot of money kicking about with nowhere else to go before I'd buy one but if I did I would. Not the Bobber though, the organisers made me wear a fluorescent vest when I rode it. Not because I was a greater hazard than the riders on other bikes but because it was a wet day and the Bobber rear mudguard is so short riders were getting spray all over their backs. Most were wearing pool kit lent by the organisers.
Like you I'm also keen to ride the FTR1200, but I'll wait for a warm sunny day to do it.
UK Keith
Donator

Postby squirrelman » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:02 pm

warm sunny day, wooden that be a treat ! :lol:

march 17 099.JPG
squirrelman

Return to Other Bikes