Wanted: Passenger seat cowl/cover

Find a replacement for your little ouch!

Re: Wanted: Passenger seat cowl/cover

Postby ad.vantage » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:32 pm

It kills me that no one ever followed through with the repro solo seat cowl. I'd pay good money for one. Could we revisit this? This forum is the only forum I can find online for our bikes and if we don't support ourselves, there is no other support to be found for this bike. Trying to find this part is slowly driving me insane.
ad.vantage

Postby spotthedogg » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:04 pm

I have a cowl and considered making a mold of it, so many things on the go
spotthedogg

Postby Spoot5 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:03 pm

I considered trying something very basic, but creating a cowl for numbers.
Looking at the stock tail section and some photos, there are a couple things that would be tricky for a DIY version to duplicate this.

The tab that inserts above the seat, but into the rear cowl. To get that to line up nicely and look professional.
The front of the cowl has a lip that holds a bumper pad.

I was willing to try just a 'cover' that doesn't have a tab or the bumper-lip. Just a shaped piece that aligns with the screw holes on the seat-strap.

?

I know nothing about fiberglass, or molds - unless your talking about the mold in the lower track of my shower door. :geek:

A sheet of white acrylic, cut almost like a half moon, then heated and bend the sides around...might get a basic "cowl"...was another thought.

I wonder if Airtech could work with one of us to fab up a clone. Their rear mold has the cowl built-in, so I don't know if they have a bike available.
'90 VTR250 Interceptor / '98 VF750F Magna / '98 VTR1000F / '08 Ridgeline / Honda Racing Bicycle
CCS Mid-West #518 Am
Spoot5

Postby spotthedogg » Wed May 30, 2018 7:32 pm

The Airtech tail isn’t much more than what someone would want for a Honda cowl and it’s lighter/easier/nicer
spotthedogg

Postby squirrelman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:21 pm

my cowl came from a visit to a salvage yard about 20 years ago, where i spotted a Honda red cowl for a VF1000R (i guessed). not too many of those around, and it looked VTR-sized and was about $40. :o

kept it on a shelf for a few years until i fitted it easily onto the vtr after filing/grinding just one area. :P

i'm thinking of reproducing it, but i said the same thing at least 5 years ago :? too many other projects and bikes that need attention, i guess. :roll:

SEARCH: my seat cowl project
squirrelman

Previous

Return to Bodywork